Yet another "Cannot find mysqli_init" question

kww

I gave up trying to install MySQL on my Windows 7 machine. Hours of fiddling, and it never could install properly. So, I uninstalled it, and installed it on my Windows XP machine where it seems to be running happily, waiting for someone to connect to it.

On my main Windows 7 64-bit machine, I am running Apache Web Server and PHP 5.3.2. I would like to be able to connect to my remote SQL server. I just can't get it to recognize the function calls related to SQL.

My php.ini file has

extension_dir="C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext"

[php_MYSQLI]

extension=php_mysqli.dll

I've verified that php_mysqli.dll is in that directory, and I don't get any error messages starting PHP. I verified my PATH variable. It successfully does the basic "Hello World" level stuff. However, when trying to access the mysqli functions, I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_init() in C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\sqlconnect4.php on line 8

Most installation guides I find assume that I have MySQL installed locally. Is there something special I need to do to deal with the remote server?

Found it, plus a new bug, but I'll open a separate thread for that. This one was nasty. I found out that if I ran PHP by itself on the command line, it could find the SQL functions. It only couldn't when loaded from Apache. Turns out my httpd.conf file was wrong. If it cannot load the file pointed to by PHPIniDir it fails silently. I had an error in it, so PHP was loading without a .ini file, and all the changes I made to mine were ineffective.

LoadModule php5_module "C:/Program Files (x86)/PHP/php5apache2_2.dll"

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php

# configure the path to php.ini

PHPIniDir "C:/Program Files (x86)/PHP/" ; was just "C:/PHP"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.