Please critique my portfolio

urbanpanda

http://nkalush.com/index3.html

Hello,

I am on my third revision of my portfolio website and I could use some useful critique. I only recently graduated from college and I'm looking to get a job in web design or do freelance web design. Since I have no other web design work to show off, I need this to look nice while I find some free/cheap work to do. Sorry for the whole story thing, I've never really done the whole submitting a website to the public thing before. I tested the html and css with the w3c validators and it seemed okay, except that the css one doesn't do css3 yet. Anyways I put the link at the start of the post, and I figured I'd throw some questions to see if it gets the ball rolling:

-color scheme look okay?

-readability okay?

-I'm not convinced putting random crap I'm working on in my free time on the front page is a good idea, but it looks bland without something else. Any suggestions?

-Does the different font in the contact me section work or should I stick with only 2 fonts.

-should I do something else with the portfolio? specifically the way you look at different things?

-Does it look professional enough to get me hired as website designer? or does it still look like someone who doesn't know what they're doing? (I think everything I do looks amateur so I can't tell)

Also, while this probably isn't the place to be asking for coding help, here's some problems I could use help with:

-The footer only seems to touch the bottom of the page only in chrome, and I can't figure out how to make it work in firefox and IE...

Well that's all I could think of to ask, hopefully it helps and doesn't limit the discussion, thank you in advance for looking.

Well ill give this a go,

how many years did you spend at college?  I say this only because it seems to me like you might not be as confident as you should be.  You have to much stuff going on...rollover is okay to use, but i wouldnt suggest your approach.  I have attached a picture of how i would change your site.  http://lqd.deviantart.com/gallery just encase you think im full of it.  And most of that was done when i was 16,17,18. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

It's Okay.

The color scheme is ok but you aren't really picking complementary colors... in my experience as a graphic designer, your clients will be very picky about this and about color setting an even tone. Try to find a color chart and work from it limiting yourself to less than 5 colors across your entire site. Get rid of the works in progress.... do you really want your introduction and potentially only viewed page to be of work you haven't completed? Instead, try putting up your favorite or most prestigious pieces. Those looking to hire you won't care what your favorite color is, that your like anime, or that your favorite video game is COD... so try to focus on showing a potential client what they would want to see .. useful examples.. for example webpages, banners, css layouts, etc. Your portfolio is painful to look at, try putting a flash thumbnail browser or something fun to scroll thru your art rather then 1.2.3.4.etc. Show some creativity. 

-readability okay? yes

-Does the different font in the contact me section work or should I stick with only 2 fonts. Looks good

-Does it look professional enough to get me hired as website designer? or does it still look like someone who doesn't know what they're doing? (I think everything I do looks amateur so I can't tell) ..... honestly it does look like a beginner made it, but don't be discouraged by that... use it as a chance to better your skills.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.