Color Scheme Critique

lqdmindz

Hey guys,

im fairly handy at photoshop and know my way around the coding, but it would be nice to get feed back from my peers.  My site is quite successful so far amongst the students at my uni, and that all i really want, but i strive to make the experience of using the site more and more enjoyable.  the site is http://www.h1vem1nd.org and you can use the

username: Test

password: TestTest

It is phpbb and the coffetime theme.  i have added a chat mod, karma and a rotating banner(with im trying to change to rotate hourly)  Feed back from you guys would be great.

I personally find it hard to comment on sites that use a template. Reason being I can't really judge what work you did and what work was provided for you. That being said, your rotating banner would be catchy if you made the "city" picture color and the color of the picture reflected the 'home' time of day. For example, when its dark the buildings lights are on and during day time the colors are vivid. Just an idea. As for the color, its muted but well done, my eye feel relaxed looking at it and data is leisurely found. I'll assume this is still under construction as many tabs, buttons, etc are non functional. I think your header should decrease in size upon logging in, once I'm ready to view the forum I don't really care about the city picture, buttons, tabs, etc.  I would shrink them for logged in users. Other then that, the site has some neat mouse over gizmos.. as a layout it's nice... as a functioning site though I would have no reason to stay as it's not clear to me what content is being provided. I refer back to my 5 W's of web design.. all of which should be answered on the front page:

Who's this page for?

What does the site "do"? i.e. what service does it provide me?

Why do I care?

When was content last added?

Where can I contribute? i.e. sign up, comment, etc.

Thanks for the in depth critique.  What you brought up was really helpfull and you gave me some stellar ideas for making the site better.  I quite enjoyed the minimised or simple header idea.  The buildings at time of day was also quite great.

The site is actually an engineering forum(civil mainly) that allows the users(student at my uni) to interact outside of their usual groups.  It allows ppl to ask questions of ppl they would usually not interact with.  Students can also see old reoprts and formats that they usually wouldnt see. 

The main aim is to help members fill in the gaps that the uni creates.

I was wondering if you were anygood at php and mysql.  Wouldnt mind picking you brain about a mod i have in mind.

I read your php help question, let me see if I understand correctly...

you have a new thread in your forum as such:

NEW | Engineering Ideas | Thread content summary

Where "NEW" is, you want an image and the image should only appear when a user logs on and this thread is new to them. Upon clicking on the thread it reverts to:

| Engineering Ideas | Thread content summary

Like that?

And you solution is assign a value of 1 or 0 to a new field? or to a pre-existing field?

Ill try to better explain it.  With announcements its hard to make individuals aware of new things.  What i would like is a line of code that would check to see if a users Anounce Field in the DB = 1...if so then it would display the image that linked to the announce.php file.  If the user field did not = 1 then it would not display the image with the link.  Does that clear it up?

Does the announce field already exist?

Does the announce field already get set to a 1 or a 0?

Does the location of the image file change or is it the same image all the time?

So far I think the pseudo-code would be like:

connect to database

get value of announce field

if announce field = 1 then

show the picture

else if announce field = 0 then

do nothing

end

That's assuming that the ones and zeros are set by another piece of code already.

For the announce field i will have to change the register fields to include the new announce field.  The announce field will then be assigned 0 as the default.  The algorithym you have is pretty much spot on...if its 1 it will show the picture(which will always be the same) if not it will not display it.

Also on clicking this picture it will assign the users announce field a 0 value.  Does this sound do-able?

Ok, I'm glad we know what each other is talking about  :)

Yes it is do-able

connect to database

get value of announce field

if announce field = 1 then

show the picture

clicking on picture points to a page with this code:

mysql_query("UPDATE register_table SET announce = '0' WHERE username = 'the_users_name'");

else if announce field = 0 then

do nothing

BUT, a potential problem could be that if there are 5 new announcements, if the user only clicks on 1 then the other four will no longer be considered new since the field will be zero. I think this may not be an issue in your situation the way i understand it but just thought i'd bring that up incase i'm misunderstanding.

The issue about the announcement isnt that bad...because the image will link to the anounce.php page...and that page will have the last 5-10 announcements.  Dont suppose you know anything about how to connect to the phpbb database do you?  Ive been searching around but i dont know what the user database is called.

just a suggestion, with the buttons referring to login/register etc. It seems a bit off putting that they turn gray when you hover over them. I suggest making them gray to start with and then making the coloured when they are hovered over.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.