new portfolio, Im bored with old one, and its a little confusing

Meh.

By that I mean I think a jpeg doesn't do it justice. If you are going Web 1.0 and just going to slice it and put it online that's one thing... but I think you have more to offer then that. I don't love the blue and brown... and your page should not be so vertical... computer monitors sure aren't growing upwards so think widescreen display functionality.

In forum view it was 2 scrolls to get back to the bottom, opened in a separate window it's 1024 x 1400 and fit to screen vertically. So i'm not sure what your true display intention is. As for 2.0'ing it... The Oval buttons would look good as flash buttons with a 'glare' moving across it every so often .. or a the very least a nice JS mouse over look. Maybe you replace your static photo with a boarderless video clip... favorite links should be an animated drop down when moused over, same with contact me. Your header is nice but maybe include todays date... late updated.... something to tell a visitor this site is current. Also, today's society is interested in what's going on now.... maybe put a link to your latest app, last comment on a industry related site (phpfreaks for example) or something interesting.

Web 2.0 isn't a style... it's a function.... its going from the internet looking like magazine pages to looking like a t.v. commercial. Try to keep that in mind when adding to your site... after all, you're trying to sell you.

It sounds like you like to just pack tons of scripts and things into your sites,  I gotta say i hate sites that do that. I would say web 2.0 is definitely more in the design than the functionality. Although it does help to have windows open up inside the page (lightbox style) & other modern techniques, which i will have, but i'm not gonna stuff things in to look flashy.

I don't think it's necessarily about packing a ton of apps on to a page. Google is a great example as compared to yahoo's home page with is cluttered with more info then one would ever need. But... if it's your intention to show off what you can do... or to get hired to do something... your page shows a skill level of 'I can make a page in photoshop and turn it into a static website' ... which practically anyone can do today. I'm suggesting that you tastefully add things to the page that show your creativity... your eye for clean design... and your skill set. If you are just trying to make an extremely simple html page then mission accomplished.

well carpe diem and change show us the final design so we can see.  I dont like the buttons btw.  And whats the relavance of the sand boarding?  Your portfolio should look like this master piece http://artofgregmartin.com/

Yea, i took the buttons out, they just didnt fit. I like it more without them, as shown in my last post. I carpe diem as soon as i decide that i like the general design in a non html environment. I think im almost there, ill probably html it out tomorrow. I wanna tweak some more things i think

that greg martin site is pretty cool, especially if he did the flash programming. Good luck trying to get good seo on that site though haha.

The drop down look is nice ... I mean ... the problem critiquing this is I think you're expecting a 'wow this is so great' but honestly there's nothing to this site at all... it's a picture of a bland potential website (compared to http://www.ericwooley.com/Web_Design/ which looks a lot better). The "general design" feels standardized...like a basic template from wordpress or something. Do you know how to do SSI or php includes? I would construct it as a basic php page, break each section down, and include it. For example:

<?php

include_once("myheader.jpeg")

include_once("mybuttons.jpeg")

include_once("mydropdown.jpeg")

include_once("mycontent.jpeg")

etc etc

And then put it up as a viewable website. That way everyone can say 'oh do this to the banner' and all you have to do is switch out your include of that item. I also still think the brown and blue do not work.

Really.... what's your point with this site? Maybe answering that can help us make more informed suggestions.

Its just a web Design and Web application portfolio. So yes i know how to include files. Actually I was looking for some comments on what people like or dislike. So far people dont like the blue yellow combo, but i like it so im not gonna change it. The pages don't need to be separated for you to make comments on individual things either.

Anyways i already html'd it out so here it is without any content.

http://port2.ericwooley.com

Alright, this is easier to work with. At the top, your banner that says Eric Wooley looks like it is die cut ... and that the "yellowish" color is a new layer underneath it. For continuity, I would make the background of your content that same yelloish color instead of the brown "textured" color. In Chrome, your drop downs keep going up and down like a yo yo after I mouse away... is that on purpose? I think when mousing over your buttons, the should light up with either the green color of your 'Web & design' text or the yellow as mentioned before. Other then that, I think it could potentially be a good base to build off of.

yea, im still creating the site, the drop downs dont quite work yet. Im switching over from prototype/scriptaculous to jquery and its a little rough. I cant figure out what is happening with those drop downs.

I'm a little confused, which yellowish color are you talking about?

The site at http://port2.ericwooley.com/ has the 2 drop down tabs either side of the buttons.  I would put the drop down on mouse over tabs on the left hand side of the site.  I still think, for the sake of making your life easier your content background should be a single colour.  If your trying to show individuals that your professional that would be an issue.  Ive attached an image a think would suit your needs...it was a quick job so dont be critical :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

haha that is pretty awesome. I didnt see that.

What did you think of my site ignace? You always have good opinions to offer

I like the design but it misses the goal you are trying to achieve: sell websites. When you are focusing on web-design, you should have a stunning portfolio showcasing your skill and your success. For example http://www.albertlo.com/ -- this website makes prospecting clients confident this is the candidate they were looking for. A good design of course isn't everything eg http://www.gummisig.com/ -- great design but the text is a bit off..

What is it that you actually want to make? An online portfolio? An online resume? What is the goal? What do you want to achieve with this website? Try to find questions to further define your concept and then translate the answers to a design.

How do recommend making it more web 2.0, I thought it was kinda web 2.0

Just out of interest, what makes you feel that its web 2.0?

Web 2.0 is all about letting users interact with the site, being able to have a say in the content etc

facebook, twitter, wikipedia are examples of so called web 2.0

For some reason a lot of people think that adding "glass style" buttons and a lightbox makes a site web 2.0.

How do recommend making it more web 2.0, I thought it was kinda web 2.0

Just out of interest, what makes you feel that its web 2.0?

Web 2.0 is all about letting users interact with the site, being able to have a say in the content etc

facebook, twitter, wikipedia are examples of so called web 2.0

For some reason a lot of people think that adding "glass style" buttons and a lightbox makes a site web 2.0.

agreed.

Agreed with which part? :)  I honestly dont believe in having individuals interacting with a portfolio.  Its there to be scoured over, and to some extent critisised.  I think the extent of interaction should be kept to the contact me if your interested part. 

Most ppl with money, will go with a well know company http://www.designchapel.com , others(your targets) are probably the older individuals or ppl with no clue who have companys they want to expose on the net.  So interaction is probably best kept to a minimum. 

I believe adopting the stance that anyone that goes to your site is probably a webtard, is the way to go.  My forum for instance has tutorials on how to add attachments to post(which to me seems ridiculous) because ive had individuals ask me how. 

Design Chapel is a really well known advertising company and they use wordpress...perhaps you should do the same.  Looks pro, customable,  You can showcase your work, add useful modules.  Ever thought about it?

I was agreeing that web 2.0 is thrown around so much that the definition has become diluted. Web 2.0 is about content and users being able to interact as isedeasy said. A user to a profile / portfolio site should have some degree of interactivity. Why direct someone to your web portfolio if it is exactly the same as something that could have just been printed out. I like to play with websites when I visit them for the "how'dya do that??" factor. If i was looking to hire a designer / coder and all he had to show me was a "Contact me" box I would look elsewhere.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.