• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[code]<?php

if($row_rsPages['Id']== "15"  )
{
$row_rsCountry_Q = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tabCountry  ORDER BY 'countryName' ") or die(mysql_error());
while($row_rsCountry = mysql_fetch_array($row_rsCountry_Q))

{
echo '<h2>'.  $row_rsCountry['countryName'].'</h2>';
}
$row_rsRegion_Q = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tabRegion WHERE 'regionName' = '".$row_rsCountry['Id']."' ORDER BY 'regionName' ") or die(mysql_error());
while($row_rsRegion = mysql_fetch_array($row_rsRegion_Q))
{
echo '<br />' . $row_rsRegion['regionName'] . '<br />';
}
}
?>[/code]

right now this is the code, which shows the Countrys Fine now, but not the regions, i am assuming i must add something to the region table , so that the same regions dont list in every country, but they only show in the country that they are from.

alothough i have been looking and am a little confused of what needs adding to the table.

hope this makes sense

so just to clarify, without changing the tables, I could do that with what i have got at the moment, which is what I am looking to do?

if so, I am assuming this bit needs changin in the code:

[code]$row_rsRegion_Q = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tabRegion WHERE 'regionName' = '".$row_rsCountry['Id']."' ORDER BY 'countryName' ") or die(mysql_error());
while($row_rsRegion = mysql_fetch_array($row_rsRegion_Q))
{
echo '<br />' . $row_rsRegion['regionName'] . '<br />';[/code]

again rich thanks for helping, I am just getting confised and struggling at the moment because this is the first time i have done something like this, and i am trying to get it finished asap, you have been a great help so far, as has everyone else who has replied...

[quote]
so just to clarify, without changing the tables, I could do that with what i have got at the moment
[/quote]

No, as you have it now, with your current database structure, you have no way of linking the region to the country.  This means if you have three countries in your country list, and want to display the regions based on one particular country you can't, and this is exactly your problem.

[code=php:0]
SELECT * FROM tabRegion WHERE regionName = '".$row_rsCountry['Id']."'.
[/code]

Your code references a column that doesn't make sense I've put dummy examples in to illustrate...
[color=red]Select all columns from the table tabRegion where the region name (London) is equal to $row_rsCountry['Id'] (5)[/color]

Your regionName column is going to be a logical name (I'm assuming) but you're trying to link it to countryID which is going to be a number.  They're never going to match.

Can you see what I'm getting at here?

If you had a countryID column in tblRegion then you'd almost be there, but the above would need to look like this:

[code=php:0]
SELECT * FROM tabRegion WHERE countryID = '".$row_rsCountry['Id']."'.
[/code]

Regards
Rich

i will explain briefly about the backend to help you understand, hope it helps

basically, firstly the customer will be adding the Country Name, which is done.

After this the will go on to a separte section where they can add a region, which at the moment they can only add the region( but the way the tables are now I am guessing they can add the countrys, which will appear in a dynamic dropdown list, after they have sumbitted this, they will the go onto the hotel adding part where they can select the country the hotel is from , from a dynamic dropdown list, and they can do the same when slecting a region.

they will also add a hotel picture, description and hotel rating.

Hope this helps you understnad what i am tryin to do in the backend more

Yes, it's all possible.

[color=blue][b]addhotel.php[/b] - They can add in new hotels, this page will contain the dynamically generated drop down menus for both country and region, along with the additional fields you're after (Image, description etc).  If the hotel's in a new region they can click a text link next to the region drop down to take them to a new page to add a region.

[b]addregion.php[/b] - Here they can add a new region by typing its name in a text box and selecting the country from a dynamically generated drop down.  If the country doesn't exist then they can click the text link next to the country drop down to take them to a new page to add a country.

[b]addcountry.php[/b] - Here they can add a new country in a text box.[/color]

It's important to note that they must assign the hotel to a region and the region to the country.

Regards
Rich

[quote author=HuggieBear link=topic=107882.msg433405#msg433405 date=1158154882]
Not country name, country ID.  Look at my previous structure....

[color=green][b]tabCountry[/b] - countryID, countryName
[b]tabRegion[/b] - regionID, countryID, regionName
[b]tabHotel[/b] - hotelID, regionID, hotelName, hotelImage, hotelDescription, hotelRating
[/color]

Rich
[/quote]

in country where you have put countryId, can that be left as Id or must I rename it as countryId

and just to check, i then use this code for the drop down list is the regionadd page

[code]<select name="selectCountry" id="selectCountry">
                <?php
do { 
?>
                <option value="<?php echo $row_rsCountry['Id']?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($row_rsCountry['Id'], $row_rsRegionedit['countryId']))) {echo "SELECTED";} ?>><?php echo $row_rsCountry['Id']?></option>
                <?php
} while ($row_rsCountry = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsCountry));
  $rows = mysql_num_rows($rsCountry);
  if($rows > 0) {
      mysql_data_seek($rsCountry, 0);
  $row_rsCountry = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsCountry);
  }
?>
              </select>[/code]

which will be the same on the hotel page

it is only like this at the moment

[code]   <select name="selectCountry" id="selectCountry" title="<?php echo $row_rsAccomedit['hotelCountry']; ?>">
    <?php
do { 
?>
    <option value="<?php echo $row_rsRegion['Id']?>"<?php if (!(strcmp($row_rsRegion['Id'], $row_rsAccomedit['regionId']))) {echo "SELECTED";} ?>><?php echo $row_rsRegion['Id']?></option>
    <?php
} while ($row_rsRegion = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsRegion));
  $rows = mysql_num_rows($rsRegion);
  if($rows > 0) {
      mysql_data_seek($rsRegion, 0);
  $row_rsRegion = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsRegion);
  }
?>

</select>[/code]

Edited

oh i see what you mean i think

[code]mysql_select_db($database_conTotal, $conTotal);
$query_rsRegion = "SELECT * FROM tabRegion";
$rsRegion = mysql_query($query_rsRegion, $conTotal) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rsRegion = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsRegion);
$totalRows_rsRegion = mysql_num_rows($rsRegion);

mysql_select_db($database_conTotal, $conTotal);
$query_rsCountry = "SELECT * FROM tabCountry";
$rsCountry = mysql_query($query_rsCountry, $conTotal) or die(mysql_error());
$row_rsCountry = mysql_fetch_assoc($rsCountry);
$totalRows_rsCountry = mysql_num_rows($rsCountry);
?>[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.