Review of my first professional client website.

shortysbest

I am building a website for an antique shop in my area and i am rebuilding their current website. That being http://www.scuttlebuttantiques.com .

My current rebuild of it can be found here: http://scuttlebuttantiques.zzl.org

However i am looking for suggestions to help make it even better. The basic goal of the website is to sell antiques. I would appreciate some suggestions as this is my first professional website job.

It's a pretty good site. There's little things here and there that i'd change but mostly because of my own preferences. I think in comparison to the previous site it's a huge improvement so your client should be thrilled by it. I'd run with it and maybe put a comment box or something where people can make comments about use ... maybe 'welcome to our redesigned site would you take a short survey after viewing our site?' if yes, then show alertbox on navigate away with a comment box. I only suggest that because i am not an antique buyer so i dont know what information is pertinent to them vs. what you are displaying.

Otherwise, nice site.

It's a pretty good site. There's little things here and there that i'd change but mostly because of my own preferences. I think in comparison to the previous site it's a huge improvement so your client should be thrilled by it. I'd run with it and maybe put a comment box or something where people can make comments about use ... maybe 'welcome to our redesigned site would you take a short survey after viewing our site?' if yes, then show alertbox on navigate away with a comment box. I only suggest that because i am not an antique buyer so i dont know what information is pertinent to them vs. what you are displaying.

Otherwise, nice site.

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my site && thank you for your input. :)

That's rather a great improvement, great work!

On the recent update, some info are being overlapped by the Latest Photos from our shows. A fix on the display would be nice.

Are they selling online? If so, placing "about us" on a separate page would be better and changing the homepage into something that when a visitor came upon your website, they will get a glimpse how great the products you are selling are.

Just a suggestion but its all up to you. Really nice work there. :)

bluejay,

That's rather a great improvement, great work!

On the recent update, some info are being overlapped by the Latest Photos from our shows. A fix on the display would be nice.

Are they selling online? If so, placing "about us" on a separate page would be better and changing the homepage into something that when a visitor came upon your website, they will get a glimpse how great the products you are selling are.

Just a suggestion but its all up to you. Really nice work there. :)

bluejay,

Hey first of all thank you for spending the time to evaluate my work && the time to give me some of your input regarding my website. I have been stumped as to what to add, what to change, what to do next to help improve the site. Regarding the selling online, This isn't a large antique shop So he has requested that it not be an "online" store and they have always worked with just having the customers calling or going into the store to make purchases since it's easier for them, as they aren't anything like an Amazon for Antiques. So That won't be necessary.

[edit]

Ahh, i see what you're talking about. Yes I have been aware of that However at this time I just haven't found it important enough to tackle, however i do agree that it would be better if i did. But yes, the reason for that being is that it shows a set number of recent updates, i believe i have it set at 11 currently, and some titles are longer than the others creating more than one row so if i have too many of those it overlaps, however if i have all just one line titles it doesn't even go to the bottom.

mmm... ok. :)

About the news, you can forcefully do it one liner then just cut the string with a dot dot if the line is too long.

or

Make the first line as the title only then make the second line for the update date and cut the name first name with a dot dot to make it understandable.

dot dot = ellipsis ;)

mmm... ok. :)

About the news, you can forcefully do it one liner then just cut the string with a dot dot if the line is too long.

or

Make the first line as the title only then make the second line for the update date and cut the name first name with a dot dot to make it understandable.

dot dot = ellipsis ;)

Thank for the suggestion, yeah i had something like that before, But i guess the ultimate solution in my opinion would just to force the date to the second line always, that would take care of it as the longest title + the "has been updated." does not exceed the first line. But thank you again for taking the time :) I would love to hear more suggestions on other parts of the website if you had any. The page that i am not completely satisfied with currently is the product page. being these pages http://scuttlebuttantiques.zzl.org/index.php?node=product&id=45 

The reason being is all of the white space above. I can't for the life of me think of another design, or feature to add to remove atleast half of the white space. (moving the bottom line of antiques into there Isn't something I want to, or would do. :)

Thanks once again.

It's a good site, clearly laid out and easy to navigate.

One suggestion though would be to resize the photo on the home page, as you are loading the entire image every time someone looks at the page, which consumes a lot of bandwidth. You could have it show the full sized photo when someone clicks on it. This would require you to upload a small version of the photo for the page, and a full sized version for when it gets clicked.

It's a good site, clearly laid out and easy to navigate.

One suggestion though would be to resize the photo on the home page, as you are loading the entire image every time someone looks at the page, which consumes a lot of bandwidth. You could have it show the full sized photo when someone clicks on it. This would require you to upload a small version of the photo for the page, and a full sized version for when it gets clicked.

thanks for the suggestion

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.