mssql_query select syntax error after WHERE

KlaasV

Dear freaks

We have a MSSQLserver, a CentOS with Apache 2.2.3 + PHP 5.1.6, and a Debian Lenny with Apache 2.2.9 + PHP 5.2.6.-1.

I use mssql_query to select some records from a MSSQLtable. On the CentOS machine every page works perfect. I copied the php-pages to the Debian machine, and most work, but not the ones with a 'SELECT' with a WHERE clause.

clientnr is a varchar(5)

...WHERE clientnr = '$number'; # returns 'syntax error'

...WHERE clientnr = '$number%'; # no syntax error, but no records returned although there should be

...WHERE clientnr = '25486'; # returns 'syntax error'

...WHERE clientnr = '25486%'; # no syntax error, but no records returned although there should be

I tried converting and casting, but the result is always: with '%' no records found, without '%' syntax error.

activated is a boolean

...WHERE activated = 0; # returns a blank page

...WHERE activated = 1; # returns the correct selection

...WHERE activated = -1; # returns the correct selection (nothing)

...WHERE activated <> 7; # returns the correct selection (all records)

...WHERE activated <> 0; # returns the correct selection (all 1)

...WHERE activated <> 1; # returns a blank page

What is wrong on my Debian?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks David.

I can't find any encoding settings; in freetds.conf was no directive for it, not on the working machine, nor on the failing one. I tried to add 'client charset = UTF-8' but that doesn't change anything. When I submit the query with tsql, it works perfect, both via -S and -H (from the freetds user guide I understand one way is bypassing freetds, the other uses freetds.conf).

I too presume it is an encoding problem, especially since I found that comparing to different numbers gives different results (being one of the forementioned: either a blank page or a syntax error notification). Any other file I need to examine? or another way of PHP sending queries without mssql?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.