Login area question

benjonusa

Hi guys - well I'm sure you're all sick of hearing about this problem.  I've done a thousand searches on this topic and just can't find what I'm looking for.  First of all, I'm not a programmer so I was screwed from the beginning.  I know a bit about Mysql, html etc. What I need is a login script to authenticate users and a client area.  The login box is on the home page.  No problem, did that with the help of dreamweaver linked to a username database.  Haven't got a clue if it's secure so any advice there would be great.  Secondly, based on the username, upon login I want my clients (accounting clients) to be sent to their own area which has their company details and a list of accounting reports that i uploaded to the database.  They can then click on their reports for printing or downloading.  These are pdf files. They should also be able to upload scanned documents to this area also.  Icing on the cake would be if they could manage their username & passwords but that is not important right now. So to summarize:
1. Secure Username/Password
2. Secure Client area, displaying info and files related only to customer
3. Box to securely upload scanned documents.

Thats it.  Any takers?  I'm sure you guys find this stuff ridiculously simple but I'm done reading PHP & MySQL books and designing pet store shopping carts and too broke to hire a pro.  Appreciate any advice.  Take care.

Ben.

My advice to you, is drop Dreamweaver completely. No joke. It leads to bad coding practices and makes for a slower learning process. Learn to handcode everything. Next, visit http://www.php.net and look through the diferent PHP functions and such. There are countless working examples you can test on your own server. There are also quite a few sites with great PHP tutorials all over the web. My suggestion is to take that route, rather than looking for the code. Understanding the fundamentals of PHP will get you very far. Generally, these boards are for providing help with existing code, rather than a place to find working scripts.

Caesar - thanks for your reply.  I would learn how to hand code but I'm an accountant just starting a company and really don't have time to learn - wish I did!  So I'm stuck building the bulk of it in Dreamweaver then cleaning up what I can afterwards.  I've looked at around 20 examples so far and tested them on my server, modified them a bit, tried to tweak them.  They never seem that "great" once put into practice.  Get what you pay for right?  I appreciate you spending the time replying though.

Redarrow - where's the cheek? and where are you from?  I'm from Hackney, London.  So you're a pro huh? Not sure how you could have taken offence to my question.  I've read through these boards and I was assuming that asking questions was what a forum is for. I wasn't asking for a free script but free advice such as Caesar provided.  I've had a couple of quotes from you "pros" and 2-3K is the average bid.  I've done half of the leg work already in just three days learning as I go.  SO, thanks for the advice on using a "freelancer", over the internet (great idea), so they can get the experience at my companies expense, which is on a strict budget, which is why I'm here - that could only be advice from a "pro" - but I think I'll stick to doing it myself and getting hints from people like caseer. By the way, if you're a pro and scouting work, clean up your language.  How can you write code that depends on cleanliness but not string a sentence together in English.  Watch YOUR bloody cheek, mate!

Hey there - I have thought about it, I just have trust issues with regard to freelancers.  I can't learn PHP like you guys but my needs are pretty minimal for now so winging it has worked so far.  I've got my website set up, I have all of my forms working excluding the unsecure login form - I even have my ssl certificate.  I feel like I'm almost there - maybe not.  I'll keep trying, I'm not on a deadline - I may get lucky.  Appreciate your time.  I'll go that route if all else fails.  Thanks alot.

I'm frightened to offer advice now ;)

I've been signed up to these forums for about two weeks now, and I could easily do what you've asked, based on the knowledge I've picked up here.  Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it for you with my work commitments, but I'm sure by searching the posts on this forum alone, you'll find what you're looking for.

Good luck and I look forward to reading some of your code and helping out if I can.

Regards
Rich

You know Ben, one thing you may want to try is to check out pre-built system such as PHPNuke, Postnuke, Xoops, etc to see if they may fit into something you are looking for.  Personally, I learned to code from following their quite brilliant coding practices (even though I still stink compared to most of them).

I used to work for the local government and I set up a Postnuke intranet portal in all of 2 minutes.  It was completely "themed" for me, had a user account section and everything.  I looked around the internet and found quite a few modules that at least did close to what it was that I needed.  Might be worth a shot if you want something "out of the box" like that.

The geek in me says "build it and they will come..."

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.