MySpace - Am I the only one?

zq29

Am I the only one that doesn't have a MySpace account?! People I know keep telling me "Oh you've got to get a MySpace account, it's the best thing ever!" I just don't get it! The whole place is just a total rape of the senses, I don't want to be bombarded with flashing backgrounds with intensely bright coloured text, auto-playing music and videos of crap that I don't like. "But you can message your friends and stuff!" Ummmm, download an IM client, it's a lot more efficient.

I could go on all day...

i don't either. for one thing, it does lend itself to a lack of privacy, but i really don't care much about that anyway lol. i don't see a use for it. i mean, why bother posting my information all over the net for no good reason? i can see why teenagers might like it, but it's lost on me. IM is much more personal to me, plus, [i]all the rave[/i] i hear people talk about are the skins for your pages which 99% of them are incredibly poor use of CSS to do things that don't work half properly in decent browsers anyway... why condone such poor use of technology? lol

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=107919.msg433581#msg433581 date=1158166317]
... [i]all the rave[/i] i hear people talk about are the skins for your pages which 99% of them are incredibly poor use of CSS to do things that don't work half properly in decent browsers anyway... why condone such poor use of technology? lol
[/quote]

Talking about poor use of CSS, check out the results the validation of MySpace's CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com&usermedium=all
and the result of the HTML validation: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com

Both contain errors.

[quote author=ober link=topic=107919.msg433595#msg433595 date=1158167488]
I haven't used that... is it any good?
[/quote]

oh, yea. they've just added the file share option (which, i know others have had, but this one works tons better than most). plus, they've now got it mobile enabled so you can hit it from your phone or even blackberry devices. it's also got voicemail where if you're not online, people can leave you a VM and it shows up in your GMail box. very cool stuff. and, of course, it supports VOIP quite well, so you can talk verbally with anyone else using it. it's got pretty good sound, too. better than skype on some occasions.

[/quote]

Niether have I, it is probably just a prejudice I have against such sites. I have never tried such sites, so in fact I can't know, but if people have fun using those sites then that is just fine, I just don't want to take part in it.

MySpace is for web developer wannabe's. It's lame and I can't stand the place. I won't stop anyone else from using it, but I'd try and disuade them.

I have a facebook account through my school (Georgia Tech). Unlike myspace, it is for networking ACTUAL friends and its private, and not overrun by a bunch of preppy pre-teen adolescents.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=107919.msg433598#msg433598 date=1158167748]
[/quote]

Niether have I, it is probably just a prejudice I have against such sites. I have never tried such sites, so in fact I can't know, but if people have fun using those sites then that is just fine, I just don't want to take part in it.
[/quote]

i think ober was referring to google talk, not myspace ;)

lol i have a myspace account. I joined the site because a friend was talking to some chick, etc. etc. he wanted me to talk to her, she couldn't download an INSTANT MESSANGER (which told me she wasn't 18 or older). Now my wife, which is very computer illiterate, thinks it's the greatest site of all time. I have to agree with ya'll though. The CSS crap is annoying along with those videos/music/ etc.. that auto play. The millions of picture people put on their profile is REALLY annoying. The fact that you can make a profile "private" which completely defies the entire purpose of joining a chat/dating site.
The site is everything I've seen in previous chat/dating sites. I honestly don't get why it's so popular. It has NOTHING that makes it uniqe from other sites aside from the fact that some singers seem to put profiles and get a thousand more bored kids with more money than sense to buy their album.

It's crap.. plane and simple.

when i'm not staring at a computer all day through work, i'm normally starting at a computer all night through writing/recording music. haven't done any for a while, though and never actually finished a song to more than a demo :)
i have found myspace to be good for that side of things, mainly to get some good feedback from the general public rather than musicians. as a personal space? nah. not bothered about that.
http://www.myspace.com/markgrainger

[quote author=oldmanice link=topic=107919.msg433780#msg433780 date=1158181341]
Myspace is much better than MSN
[/quote]I'll assume you mean MSN Messenger as MSN is something completely different. Actually, so is MSN Messenger - Its an instant messaging client, MySpace is a website. They're different tools, intended for different things.

I don't have one either and have only looked at it once to see what the buzz was about.  Then I had a call from my older sister a few weeks ago asking about designing web pages because she wanted a myspace page.  All her friends have that sh!t too.  I fail to understand.  They're not teenagers, they're all around 30.

I think it's the idea of being on a site that the media talks about lol. I know a few people in their late 20's, early 30's, that see it mentioned on the news or a song or movie or whatever.. and start asking me about it. I tell them what it's for and how the idea of the site is actually very poor and ridiculous.. they want to know where to sign up. Lol. "But *insert famous singer here* is on myspace!". lol.

lol...I got one.
just for the reason that all my friends have it.  I can't quite figure out why it's so popular either, it is kinda overated.

I got facebook as well...but it's turning into this stalker news feed thing.  About tells everyone everytime you fart.

either one, I'll never get used to posting a blog about my life, which is all MySpace is.  Blogs........and gossip, and chain letters..bleh

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.