MySpace - Am I the only one?

zq29

[quote author=zanus link=topic=107919.msg435015#msg435015 date=1158340003]
lol...I got one.
just for the reason that all my friends have it.  I can't quite figure out why it's so popular either, it is kinda overated.

I got facebook as well...but it's turning into this stalker news feed thing.  About tells everyone everytime you fart.

either one, I'll never get used to posting a blog about my life, which is all MySpace is.  Blogs........and gossip, and chain letters..bleh
[/quote]

Man... looking at the background image on your MySpace-profile-thing makes my eyes hurt >_<

I have a MySpace but only with actual friends and not a crap load of 18 year girls that need more friends to make themselves feel better.  I actually use Vox as my blog since I have a few pals that develop the thing.  It's owned by SixApart, written in Perl and has some really nice JS/Ajax in there.  I was told it's going live next month but one of the great things about it....unlimited photo upload, PREMADE templating that is compliant to the big standards and most of all it's not MySpace = )

to be honest, i'm not embarrassed by my own personal reasons for having a myspace account for music. like i say - it allows me to get feedback from total strangers on my music, lets me make improvements, etc. i'm also a member of a music forum, but the people there are like me - they are into writing/recording music, or into critiquing the TECHNICAL aspects of music, not the artistic, so feedback from there isn't necessarily the sort of thing i wanna hear. with my friends/family, their critique is biased. myspace is exactly the sort of people i need - varied, mostly into music, critical, etc. i reckon if they modelled it more around music and less about social networking, it'd be much "cooler". but probably much less popular.

i get a *slight* feeling that there are a few here that may actually own a myspace account but don't want to admit to it for fear of sounding like a bandwagon-jumping teenager lol

still. each to their own.

• 3 weeks later...
[b]DISCLAIMER:  i hate the site and pretty much everything it stands for, so this is a biased message.[/b]

i suppose no one has really drawn the connection between MySpace and Geocities.  MySpace is essentially the Geocities of the slightly younger generation (for me it was Geocities that was the shit, and mostly the nerdy kids who liked to play with web design had their own page.  frames anyone?) with a lot more social masturbation.  pardon the terminology, but i'm not sure there's a better way to put it; people crank their friends count to feel better about themselves and stroke their ego.  i'll admit MySpace is a heck of a lot more offensive than Geocities, but it's the same sort of idea of everyone trying to stake their place.

i agree absolutely with effigy about the definition of a friend.  gotta love the anonymity and intangibility of the web.

and i'll also agree with mark about the site having some legitimate uses.  music makers have a new forum with which to share and get feedback on their music, and the site's insane popularity certainly lends to a huge audience.  i'm just not sure why a site like this should supplant good old in-person friend-making and social contact.

why meet friends when you can chat them up in your basement?

I have a MySpace account.  I got it when I saw that some of my friends were on it, and figured it would be a good way to keep tabs on them asynchronously.  Blogging seems a bit better suited to that than e-mail to me.  MySpace does, in virtually every facet, suck, although I like the ability to add some music to my page (even though I would never do such a thing in a 'real' webpage).  And yes, I hate Tom.

[quote author=oldmanice link=topic=107919.msg447372#msg447372 date=1160071526]
Heres mine www.myspace.com/bloodydarkcity
[/quote]
Aren't you 14?

I have a myspace account just for the heck of it really.  Most of my friends have it so I created an account.  The only time that I visit is when I get a comment or something.
http://myspace.com/jaybachatero

[quote author=Nightslyr link=topic=107919.msg447393#msg447393 date=1160072529]
...good way to keep tabs on them asynchronously.  Blogging seems...
[/quote]
Web 2.0 anyone? :)

i do find something a little funny here.

"i think myspace is a load of rubbish, but i was just messing around ... my myspace address is..."
"i got one cos of xyz and never update it ... my myspace address is..."
"i only went on there for 2 minutes cos i was curious and hated it ... my myspace address is..."
"i only use it to chat to my [i]real[/i] friends". ahem. telephone? knock their door?

is anyone else apart from me actually proud enough to say "i have a myspace account, and i dont give a flying fk what anyone else thinks"? hehe never mind.

i think it was mentioned before but it's always funny to see people say "yeah, i have several hundred friends...". really? and remind me again, how many tens of thousands of miles away do they live and how many times you've met them?

;D

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=107919.msg447522#msg447522 date=1160081618]
i think it was mentioned before but it's always funny to see people say "yeah, i have several hundred friends...". really? and remind me again, how many tens of thousands of miles away do they live and how many times you've met them?

;D
[/quote]

Exactly. :D And how many of them [b]don't[/b] have you as a friend just so their friend count is one greater? I'd be willing to bet that 80% of the "friendships" on myspace are just to boost the friend count.

I don't have a MySpace, I visit it often though, as alot of people I know have it that have moved a way and it's a good way to see what they are upto. I don't mind the place, it's a healthy community, if people enjoy it that's all that matters and I think it's good that people use basic HTML (no matter how terrible some profiles look) we all have to start somewhere, hell, I started on AOL Hometown using Microsoft Word.

What I don't like, is how capital thirsty companies grasp myspace in the palms of thier hands dribbling over how much cash they make from advertisements and trickery.

So I think to be honost, you guys need to lighten up on the community side of myspace.

i think there is a valid use for myspace accounts, but not on the personal level. i have a friend who plays and does lead vocal in a band, and their only web presence is their myspace account, and they have booked tons of gigs just from the community presense on there. for a business venture like that, i think it's a great way to get your name out there. but then again, i guess you would have a [i]groupie[/i] list instead of a [i]friends[/i] list ;)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=Black_Wolf link=topic=107919.msg455488#msg455488 date=1161453377]
And ive seen men with all hot ladys as there friends and half of those ladys where men.
[/quote]

Welcome to the internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

• 4 weeks later...
That comment about Geocities and MySpace sounds familar.

I miss Geocities it was cool back in the day when I needed a free webhost to tinker around with.

I dont have a MySpace account, no reason too either. I have my own webservers and my own web development knowledge.

What I hate is when people think something on the web is the internet.

Bob: OH yea, I'm using the internet, come see my page at blahblahlbah
BobbySue: I can't get the internet to work, the Big Blue 'E' isnt doing anything when I click on it

How I miss the days of IRC (when EfNet was the only one around), Archie, Veronica, Gopher, and Mosaic was the only graphical web browser.  Lynx was my best friend.... When no on knew about Napster and it wasn't corrupted by computer illiterate people etc ;)

</rant>

Geesh I feel old, but I'm not really not 'old'...

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.