Hardcore oop enthusiast looking for appropriate framework

andrewgauger

Finally giving in and deciding to build off what others have crafted in lieu of developing everything from scratch.  So, I need a framework.  I have biases and opinions that are probably not factually based, so I ask others experienced with frameworks:

Which is the best framework for an experienced PHP developer to use?  I think I'm leaning towards Yii (maybe) or Zend.  Please advise.  This is not for professional developing, just my own fancy along the way.

IMO the most important decision you have to make is if you want a glue or a full-stack framework. A glue framework like Zend provides you with components which you can use either way you want and does not restrict you to use any of them. A full-stack like CodeIgniter (and Yii?) does the opposite, it restricts you to it's feature-set but it requires less effort on your end to write the application as bootstrapping and resource loading is all done for you (it runs out-of-the-box).

I don't think there is much else I can add to this to be more relevant to you, download a few frameworks of which you think you like and try them, create something small, amuse the masses :)

[ot]PS: Developers of the modern age get no respect.  We are always the blunt of jokes, the first to blame, and people hardly talk to us.  I wouldn't trade it for the world. -- love it :)[/ot]

Thanks for the clarification.  I have always done everything myself and am never going to get to a new level without using a framework.  I absolutely am looking for a glue framework.  I'm thankful I asked before learning Yii wasn't what I wanted.  I had someone on public transit say they were using something like Komodo (but not Komodo, thats the IDE), or something that started with a K, but I haven't found any frameworks that start with a K.  I think I'll begin with Zend.  I'm sure I'll regret it  ;)

It depends on your OO knowledge (principles, patterns) how well (or how bad) you'll get along with the Zend framework. I am currently playing with a few popular frameworks (Zend, CI, Cake, Symfony, ..) Our own CMS system runs on Zend, while one of our products runs on CodeIgniter :) I am going to regret this in the future, I'm sure.

Most of the decent IDE's support frameworks simply by placing them on an include path. Sure though, if you've got the $ to fork out for Zend Studio, it looks pretty good.

Or try Eclipse PDT, NetBeans PHP, or PHPStorm. I use the latter and is free for educational and open-source projects, $48 for a personal license.

I had someone on public transit say they were using something like Komodo (but not Komodo, thats the IDE), or something that started with a K, but I haven't found any frameworks that start with a K.

Kohana?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.