Configure: error: Unable to locate /usr/local/java/bin

I am trying to upgrade php and have two questioins.

1) Do I need  to uninstall my current installation of php before upgrading, or can I just overwrite the current installation?

2) I have so far managed to download and unzip the source for php4.4.4.  However, when I try to configure my installation using the command line

'./configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--enable-safe-mode' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-curl=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-dom' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-png-dir=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-ttf=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-t1lib=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-iconv=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-kerberos' '--with-ldap' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-mcrypt=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql' '--with-pgsql=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-regex=system' '--with-pear' '--enable-memory-limit' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-dbase' '--enable-exif' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-gmp=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-mhash=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-gettext' '--enable-mbregex' '--disable-mbstr-enc-trans' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-xml' '--with-xmlrpc' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-iconv-dir=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-expat-dir=/usr/local/phplibs' '--enable-zend-multibyte' '--enable-dba' '--with-db4=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-bz2' '--enable-dbx' '--with-mcal=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-java=/usr/local/java' '--with-imap=/usr/local/phplibs/imap-2004f' '--with-openssl' '--with-magickwand=/usr/local/phplibs' '--with-imap-ssl'

(I obtained this from phpinfo()), it fails with the error messages

checking for Java support... yes
checking Java Jar location... configure: error: Unable to locate /usr/local/java/bin

The 'directory' /usr/local/java is a sym link to /usr/local/jre1.5.0_01/ which in turn has a subdirectory bin

How do I fix this problem?

Thanks

As far as question 1 is concerned. I don't know. I don't like compiling and installing anything from source to the standard locations. That includes "/usr/local". I usually use another prefix, for example "/opt/php-version".

I'm not usually comfortable telling anyone where to install anything from source because installing in non default/standard locations has its own disadvantages if you don't know certain things (not that I'm an expert) and installing in the default locations, also has disadvantages/problems IMO.

I assume from your post that your original installation is from a binary package. I'd recommend that you try to find an update from your distro.

You might want to try a linux forum for general opinions on installing from source. Especially over binary packages.

question 2) I don't have experience compiling PHP with JAVA support but a look in the configure script shows the following.
[code]
if test -x $PHP_JAVA/bin/jar; then
    JAVA_JAR="$PHP_JAVA/bin/jar cf"
else
    { echo "configure: error: Unable to locate $PHP_JAVA/bin" 1>&2; exit 1; }
fi
[/code]

Another section below that looks for "javac". You need to find out where the JDK base installation directory is.
[quote=./configure --help]
--with-java[=DIR]      Include Java support. DIR is the JDK base install directory.
[/quote]
The symlink points to the /usr/local/jre1.5.0_01/ which seems to only be the JRE.

Do a
[code]
locate -r '/javac$'
[/code]
Use the directory you find it in as the argument to configure "./configure --with-java=/dir/path/".

If you see "javac" and "jar" in "/usr/local/jre1.5.0_01/bin/" then try using "--with-java=/usr/local/jre1.5.0_01" to avoid the symlink all together.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.