5 replies to this topic

#1 pakenney38

pakenney38
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:07 PM

I have a web form that is used to upload some 33 files at once to an "/uploads" folder on my web server, but am having an issue with Apache not wanting to deal with file sizes larger than 6-7MB per file. If I attempt to upload any file larger than that, I get "the page cannot be displayed" in the browser. At first, I blamed PHP. But then I rewrote the processing script in Perl, and now have the same issue with the Perl script. So I have to blame Apache.

#2 oldmanice

oldmanice
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 134 posts
  • LocationIn Your Garden At Night

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

No it isnt the apache server what this means is your computer cant hold much space because the files are to big. I think your going to have to get more MB
Join my Froums www.phpbbplanet.com/darkwinter

#3 pakenney38

pakenney38
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

You mean like the Web Server? It has 250 GB of hard drive space, 82% of that is available. It also has 2 GB of RAM. I'm confused on how this cannot be adequate.
Or were you referring to the PC I am sending the files from? I still don't understand how a file that is at most 16MB would eat enough resources on either the client or server to cause this problem. Could you be more specific?

#4 oldmanice

oldmanice
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 134 posts
  • LocationIn Your Garden At Night

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

Well if it has 250 GB of hard drive space, 82% of that is available then it should be fine maybe the version you are using dose not accept files higher than 6-7 MB you might want to download a higher version.

And if that also dosent work then try more MB
Join my Froums www.phpbbplanet.com/darkwinter

#5 pakenney38

pakenney38
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

It would be nice to have a serious reply to this topic. First of all, I recently updated all packages through yum, so I know everything is current version. Secondly, are you suggesting I update the RAM? Even the RAM is 2GB. If that's not enough to process say, and 16MB file, then there is some other problem.

#6 R_P

R_P
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

Few questions:

When you were working with PHP, did you modify PHP.ini so that PHP and the POST method can handle those file sizes? I haven't tried modding a Perl config, so I don't know if there are similar settings to look at, but in PHP.ini take a look at these settings (and change per your req's):

; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept.
post_max_size = 8M

; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
upload_max_filesize = 2M

You also might want to try looking at the resource limits to make sure that PHP isn't hitting them, although you would be returned PHP errors, not page/access errors if that were the case.

Additionally... Is the server on your local machine? Do you get the same error when you upload via a localhost address? If not, then it may be a network timeout issue.

If you get the same error from localhost or you don't think its a network issue, the time it takes to process a large file maybe exceeding apache's Timeout setting which I believe defaults to 5 mins.

Good luck.
Pro in: Win2K3S | Apache2 | PHP5 | Perl5 | MySQL | MSSQL | Firefox | Photoshop
Student of: Ubuntu6 | Java | C | VB.NET | ASP.NET
Developer: Roddzilla Webstudios, Burrson CG, DVIDSHUB, The Four Nations
Student: Georgia Tech, Georgia Tech College of Computing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users