Is using layers any good?

The word "layer" has two meanings:

A concept by nescape, that never made into the HTML standard, was never adopted by Internet Explorer and that was dumped when Netscape "transformed" into Mozilla. I suppose, this is the one, you've been warned about.

Dreamweaver uses the word "layer" for Netscape4's layers and <div>'s with absolute positioning. The latter are a perfectly valid construct, that is supported in all current browsers. So, yes, Dreamweaver's layers are safe to use.

pecos, the type of layer i was referring to were the <div> layers

so you say that it's safe to use layers for layout positioning right?

a friend of mine used layers for a dop down menu, it works but at a fixed resolution only, if some users are using a different resolution then the menu will appear at the wrong place

could you give me some comments on this assignment website i made

www.seraphstudios.net

thank you

Let me try to detail that advice a little: absolute positioning can indeed completely mess up your layout. I think it's best suited for special effects. If you want to embed items into the flow of a page, you should use relative positioning instead.

As for the site: There are no <div>'s with absolute or relative positioning, so I don't know what you want me to look at. From where I'm sitting the page looks identical in IE and if Firefox, which is good. It also survives Firfox' text zoom relatively well. Technically the site is okay as is.

Is this a school assignment of some kind? If so, is it a tech assignment or a design assignment? Cause, I'm not so sure about the design.

how do i make the positioning of layers relative?

As far as I know, it's not possible without editing the source. Dreamweaver's layer tool is a bit of a crutch, mind you.

These might help:

http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/stylesheets/csslayout.html

http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_class_position.asp

haha actually i just wanted your opinion on the website design

well actually it's an assignment for a job application, hope can get the job  :D

There's a forum here, called "website-critique". You might want to post this question there. Me, I only give tech-advice here. (In my experience people take design-advice far more personal than tech-advice. So I only give design-advice in person.)

And good luck with the job! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.