Update Syntax

paxwarrior86

anyone have an idea why this isn't working??

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'desc = 'Embroidered with children around the world.', country = 'Guatemala' WHE' at line 1

Here's my php code:

// Update Product
$query="UPDATE catalog SET sku = '$productsku', price = '$price', name = '$productname', desc = '$desc', country = '$country' WHERE sku = '$sku'";

In case that's a little cryptic, the core problem is that you should never use [b]reserved words[/b] as field names ... and desc is a reserved word. The desperate workaround is to replace desc with `desc` in your query. The right fix is to rename the field with something that isn't a MySQL reserved word.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/reserved-words.html

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm new here.  You error just looked a lot like mine. 

My problem is I am unable to login to one of my fav websites anymore. The site side it sounded like it was on my side.  I just wanted to know what can I do to fix this, but I'm not a programer at all. lol ???

Here is the error.

MySQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Tomm'' at line 1, occured in query: "select location from member where username = 'S'Tomm'".

any help with this would be great. Thanks!

Hello Ray, thanks for getting back to me so soon. :)  I have a few more question, the website got back to me and says that their system thinks I’m trying to log on as S Tomm but that’s not me. I am usually automatically logon to the site. They said they made some changes where you have to log in all the time now. Is it possible that something could of happen on their side when they made this change over? Another question, would someone have to manually type that code in, or could a system error cause this to happen?  The reason I ask is because I have no knowledge whatsoever of SQL. ??? I never even heard of a SQL until this error, I was wondering how this error could of happen? Could someone gain access and make changes to the SQL, or is there a malicious software that could of done this? I really would like to know because I would hate for something like this to happen again.  Since I don’t know who to fix SQL errors I’m now locked out of my own art gallery. :'(

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.