How to "enable exif"?

To say that I am a beginner with this, would be an understatment.  Last night I was at the level of doing a google search for "what is php?"  So please forgive me if my question is stupid.

I want to read exif data from a picture.  I read on "the manual" that in order to use the exif functions I must configure php to "enable exif".

How do I do this?  Remember I am very much a novice?  I need directions that a moron could follow.

I doubt I will be able to answer any questions.  So here is my phpinfo() page if that will help you give me very straitforward directions.  http://www.photography.willandsam.com//test.php

If this is a shared host or you know nothing about linux contact your host and ask them about enabling the extension.

1) Download the version of PHP you're using
http://museum.php.net/php5/php-5.0.4.tar.gz

2) Extract the contents into whichever directory you choose.
[code]
tar -xzvf php-5.0.4.tar.gz
[/code]

3) Go into the exif directory. The directory name (php-5.0.4) shown in the example below may not be correct.
[code]
cd php-5.0.4/ext/exif/
[/code]

4) run phpize
[code]
phpize
[/code]

5) run configure
[code]
./configure --enable-exif=shared
[/code]

6) run make
[code]
make
[/code]

If you see errors that refer to "mbstring" then you may need to run configure again using the following
[code]
CPPFLAGS='-I../mbstring/' ./configure --enable-exif=shared
[/code]

run make again
[code]
make
[/code]

If it runs fine with no errors. You should see a file in ./modules/ named exif.so

If you've gotten this far, post here saying so as all you need to do now is copy it to the appropriate directory ("extension_dir"), modify the php.ini adding "extension=exif.so" and restart Apache.

[quote author=shoz link=topic=108344.msg435940#msg435940 date=1158480716]
If this is a shared host or you know nothing about linux contact your host and ask them about enabling the extension.
[/quote]

Thank you very much for your help.

I suspect the host is shared, and I know I know nothing about linux.  I succeeded in step 1...

So I emailed host's tech support, 5 minutes later I got a reply saying exif is now installed.  So I guess it is very easy when you know what you are doing.

Thanks again

Will

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.