Reading SITE NAME and Transferring Data SITE NAME

TeddyKiller

Transferring data from sub-domain.site.com

Reading sub-domain.site.com

What is this all about?

I'm going to put all .. images into a separate sub-domain eg: images.site.com.

This would create a folder inside my public_HTML called "images"

Now when sites have that Transferring data, and Reading... is this .. something relating to what I want. Facebook also does it, and they get their images for the site from a sub domain, how is it all done?

I'm not sure if its entirely PHP, but I hope someone can help.

Thanks

First, you should ask why before how on this topic..

It is done because high traffic sights split up their content. If you dont have high traffic, I wouldnt even bother trying...

You're right, sorry, didn't think. I don't really have any traffic at all, maybe about 50 unique a month. Though this will increase and I'd rather prepare myself before hand seeing as I'm redoing the plan of the site. I don't want it to be all cluttered you see. So, if they split up their content.. how are they using it?

I have had to do this before for a few sites... What I have done was split up dynamic and static content. Images, Videos on one server and HTML or Generated HTML on another server. Making the switch on a site really isnt too much work, its typically just a "Find and Replace" on stuff like "../images/" with "images.example.com/images/"

Let me know if that helps.

I have had to do this before for a few sites... What I have done was split up dynamic and static content. Images, Videos on one server and HTML or Generated HTML on another server. Making the switch on a site really isnt too much work, its typically just a "Find and Replace" on stuff like "../images/" with "images.example.com/images/"

Let me know if that helps.

Viaing doing that, would have the transferring data from, or reading.. whichever?

I read that loading images a directory.. eg: "images/" is quicker than going "images.site.com/images" or whatever. So why would splitting up content be.. better for high traffic sites?

I understand dynamic content is like.. PHP, etc. Although what is Static?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.