fopen with space in windows path

ober

I'm trying to create a simple data dump to a text file.  It was all working fine and now fopen doesn't like my relative paths.  So I'm using an absolute path to the file:

C:\\Program Files\\FDS\\DTManage\\Web\\DTM\\php\\DTBill\\sources\\snapshot\\snapshot.txt

But fopen keeps saying it can't open the file.  It's acting like it isn't there.

$path_parts = pathinfo(__FILE__); 
$filename = str_replace('\\', '\\\\', $path_parts['dirname'])."\\\\snapshot.txt";

if (!$handle = fopen($filename, 'w')) {
     echo "Cannot open file ($filename)";
}

Can someone tell me why this isn't working?  :wtf:

Ober,

Do you need to escape your backslashes in the str_replace() if they're in single quotes?  Personally, I'd replace them with forward slashes.

Are you getting any errors output?  This should be simple to fix, but I don't have my windows server running at the moment to test.

Regards

Huggie

Well the path returned by pathinfo uses backslashes, so I have to use backslashes for the rest unless I replace them all with forward slashes, which I don't think I've tried.  And my editor doesn't like it when I don't escape them, so I assumed I had to (PHP Designer 7).

This is the error:

Warning: fopen(C:\\Program Files\\FDS\\DTManage\\Web\\DTM\\php\\DTBill\\sources\\snapshot\\snapshot.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in C:\Program Files\FDS\DTManage\Web\DTM\php\DTBill\sources\snapshot\createExport.php on line 5 Cannot open file (C:\\Program Files\\FDS\\DTManage\\Web\\DTM\\php\\DTBill\\sources\\snapshot\\snapshot.txt) Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\Program Files\FDS\DTManage\Web\DTM\php\DTBill\sources\snapshot\createExport.php on line 32

OK, I have access to my Windows box now.  I've just tested your code on a directory with spaces and it works fine.

Your error indicates a permissions problem.  Check the permissions first, if that doesn't work, use MMC to check that the file handle isn't still open.

Regards

Huggie

You're getting a "Permission Denied" error message. You are using Windows Vista which does not allow general users to write files into the "Program Files" directory or any of it's sub-directories. Write your file to a different directory.

It always helps to give the exact error message in your initial post.

Ken

It's Windows Server 2003.  And I'll say it again, this worked when I initially wrote it and the location of the file hasn't changed and the server hasn't changed.

And it's not read-only (the file).  And the user (as far as the webserver) hasn't changed either.

Good Question...

I'm not sure if it will work on Server 2003.  Here's my instructions for XP.

Start >> Run

Type mmc and click Ok.

File >> Add/Remove Snap In >> Add

Select 'Computer Management' >> Add >> Finish >> Close >> OK

This should now show you the MMC with your local computer.

If this works then let me know.

Huggie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.