I want to do the right thing...

Guest kilbad

I have been piggybacking off someone's wireless network for the last few weeks now, and I want to know if there is someway to contact the person who owns that network; maybe a way I can send message to wireless network owner asking if it is ok to use his or her connection?  If not, then I will probably just suck it up and buy my own.

thanks in advance,
brendan

Well, I would.. but I agree with the majority that it's probably only ok to do so if the network is intentionally left open, and the only way to know that is to contact the owner (see: [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,105646.0.html]http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,105646.0.html[/url])..

On that note, can anyone suggest a way to contact a wireless network owner?  I live in an apartment complex.

[quote author=kilbad link=topic=108440.msg436259#msg436259 date=1158534997]
Well, I would.. but I agree with the majority that it's probably only ok to do so if the network is intentionally left open, and the only way to know that is to contact the owner (see: [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,105646.0.html]http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,105646.0.html[/url])..

On that note, can anyone suggest a way to contact a wireless network owner?  I live in an apartment complex.
[/quote]

I don't know if the one you're 'piggybacking' off would have done the same, probably not, but that aside:

Unless you have the oppertunity and skills to leave a message on his hard drive, it will be very hard to contact this person.

You could do a WHOIS lookup on the IP you're surfing with and contact the persons ISP. I doubt they will give you any personal information, but they might be willing to contact the person for you, with a request to contact you.

Alternatively, you could query the four neighbours closest to you if they a wireless network.

Easier would be to either stop doing it and get your own ISP, or ignore your conscience.  ;)

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=108440.msg436282#msg436282 date=1158539011]
[quote author=448191 link=topic=108440.msg436266#msg436266 date=1158535963]

Easier would be to either stop doing it and get your own ISP, or ignore your conscience.  ;)

[/quote]

Go with choice B!!! YAY for ignoring the conscience!
[/quote]

haha i wonder what option you voted for in the "is piggybacking wrong?" poll :)
i'd say carry on. surely the fact that you cant find out easily who they are, it must be harder for them to find out who you are. I blame the ISP's as they don't always make it loud and clear how to prevent stuff like that.

and if your conscience is that strong, tell yourself that sharing is doing your bit for the environment by cutting down on the number of cables and invoices your ISP has to send out  :)

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=108440.msg436396#msg436396 date=1158565387]
[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=108440.msg436282#msg436282 date=1158539011]
[quote author=448191 link=topic=108440.msg436266#msg436266 date=1158535963]

[/quote]

Go with choice B!!! YAY for ignoring the conscience!
[/quote]

haha i wonder what option you voted for in the "is piggybacking wrong?" poll :)
i'd say carry on. surely the fact that you cant find out easily who they are, it must be harder for them to find out who you are. I blame the ISP's as they don't always make it loud and clear how to prevent stuff like that.

and if your conscience is that strong, tell yourself that sharing is doing your bit for the environment by cutting down on the number of cables and invoices your ISP has to send out  :)
[/quote]

LOL, this guy must be very confused by now... First everybody tells him 'piggybacking' is wrong, then we "switch it on 'm" saying you should be fool not to take advantage of other peoples mistakes...

[i]"I'll never turn to the Dark Side."[/i] Yeah right, whatever Lukey boy..... :P

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=108440.msg436794#msg436794 date=1158614179]
Dude, their right you know.  It is better on the environment to share ;)  I mean you have people telling you to carpool, recycle paper, recycle cans, etc...why not carpool internet :-D
[/quote]
while you're at it, find out who it is and which is his car. take it out for a spin to the shops instead of buying your own. you could also move into his flat and eat his food too, as that would save on rent, food and electricity bills hehe
just kidding. as for the 'net, i wouldnt worry too much about it. if you were that worried, you would have just got your own connection instead of asking, so i think you already kinda know what you'll decide :)

keep us posted.

why don't you just start knocking on doors and find out who it belongs to. then tell them you were setting up your computer and noticed the wifi connect and just ask him if it's okay to piggyback, offering him a little bit of cash for compensation.  also you could tell him how to protect himself from people who aren't as torn up about things like this.

There are 25 apartments in my complex and, additionally, there are many adjacent buildings around mine (I live in Chicago).  I realize some of these apartments are probably to far away for me to be picking up their signal (if they have wireless), but I don’t think knocking on doors is a good approach.

oh wow. 25 whole apartments. like that is soo much work. 

<knockknock> hello, hi, i'm your neighbor. i was just wondering if you are using a wireless router? no? okay, just trying to find out who in this complex does. have a nice day! yes? okay well here's the deal...

honestly, didn't you go door to door selling band candy when you were a kid, or maybe girlscout cookies? Or gee, I wonder how many doors you knock on when you go trick-or-treating on halloween.

i guess convenience trumps conscience.

I was reading this post as it was so funny but i see that some of you are so wrong in the consept of a wireless router makes me lol,

dont just think that it's a nabour that provides the piggieback your on, it's probly a company leaving the the router set to open for there company staff to access resources from home or a internet cafe that lets users surf outside.

and also when dealing with a wireless piggyback you pick up the router local ip then in the configeration of the sofwere you pickup there router domain name it works backwords in wireless routers.

for example right know on my laptop i pick up 7 connections and 7 local ips and i can choose what one to use the local ip gets broadcast from the router domain name.

DONT WORRIE YOUR A FREEBEE WE UNDERSTAND

also you can buy good areils with good db gain to pick up a lot more then one connection in my friends home he gets over 50 of them using a good areail high in the sky.

good luck.

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=108440.msg436927#msg436927 date=1158629296]
i guess convenience trumps conscience.
[/quote]

That's a great point, convicting, and probably the answer that will force me to stop piggybacking.. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.