MySQL Syntax Error

Labradoodle-360

Why would I be familiar with SMF? You might also mention that your using it instead of simply assuming people would be aware especially considering you posted in MySQL Help.

Again I say it is invalid sql. Can we see your actual query, the query that actually gets sent to the database?

What am I overlooking?

A) Not bothering to tell someone that this is the SMF database abstraction layer and as such it is not directly a mysql question,

B) Not bothering to post the actual syntax error, because that would help someone directly help you.

C) Thinking that just because a syntax error is reported at that point in the query that it could not have actually been caused by something before that point.

:psychic:

First of all, I assumed you would be familiar with SMF, simply because this is an SMF forum.

Secondly, I didn't specify that this was based on SMF code because it is a syntax error, not an error with the structure or a variable from SMF. So it's not directly related to SMF, it's related to the syntax.

But, I do apologize for the misunderstanding.

Why would I be familiar with SMF? You might also mention that your using it instead of simply assuming people would be aware especially considering you posted in MySQL Help.

Again I say it is invalid sql. Can we see your actual query, the query that actually gets sent to the database?

This reply, I feel was very rude and not very understanding or kind. And definitely a bad experience for coming to PHP Freaks.

Regarding your response.

A) I stated it was a syntax error, not an error with how SMF coded it, which is why I failed to mention this.

B) The syntax error was inside those couple lines of query, which is why I posted them.

However, the thing that bothered me most about this post was

C) Thinking that just because a syntax error is reported at that point in the query that it could not have actually been caused by something before that point.

That is quite an assumption, that isn't very nice. I knew it was in these couple lines because I made multiple tests to confirm this. It is also implying that I know nothing about how coding works, which I take as an insult.

What am I overlooking?

A) Not bothering to tell someone that this is the SMF database abstraction layer and as such it is not directly a mysql question,

B) Not bothering to post the actual syntax error, because that would help someone directly help you.

:psychic:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.