xbox360, ps3 or wii

.josh

so..which one are you gonna wish for/get?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. so..which one are you gonna wish for/get?

• microsoft's xbox360
    • sony's ps3
    • nintendo's wii
    • none
    • all

I know that there is a game console poll already, but this one is slightly more updated to reflect the newest generation of game consoles (whereas the other one is more of a.."what's your favorite existing one?" poll):

both sony's ps3 and nintendo's wii are due to come out in november. Which one do you plan on buying, and why? Or have you decided that xbox360 is the best and to hell with the other 2? Or, if you're poor like me, which one WOULD you choose, and why?

wii looks like it's gonna be really interesting and fun, due to its new controller concept. And it's supposed to have a pricetag of around $250. But from what i can see, nintendo kind of put most of its efforts into this new controller, and making all its previous games available (to be downloadable for a fee), and didn't really put a whole lot of effort into the hardware capabilities itself. There is no question that ps3 and xbox360 are clearly capable stomping on it, as far as physical strength. It just seems to me that nintendo is putting all of its chips on this new controller concept, along with making a weak machine in order to reduce the pricetag.. that seems to be nintendo's game plan. And I think it's going to eventually bite them in the ass, after players get over the initial cool factor of the controller, and start wanting to be able to extend this new concept to more indepth and complicated games. At that point, I think nintendo is going to start wishing it had opted for better hardware...

ps3 looks pretty impressive, hardware-wise. but $600??? <whistles> man idk about that.. free online community is a plus, and blue-ray capabilities has really good potential. I'd be really interested in seeing if a software developer will actually take advantage of upwards of 50gb of space for a game.... also, apparently the new ps3 controllers are going the motion sensor route, just like wii's controller. Although I think that it won't have near as much possibilities for use as the wii controller, due to the design differences...

I think i'm leaning more towards the wii. Not just because of the significant pricetag difference... I just think that the wii stands to be more fun. I do believe that nintendo's new controllers are a true innovation in the gaming medium...pending actually getting to try one out. But i don't know. I'm not quite decided yet on whether that's enough of an argument to sway me from one thing to another: new controller concept (opening up new gameplay concepts) vs. really in-depth game potential? I'm torn, because simply having the hardware for a really massively cool game doesn't mean that one will actually be made....

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=108522.msg436696#msg436696 date=1158604217]
My idea of a massively cool game is golf where I shoot closer to my age than my weight :)
[/quote]

hahaha... yes, i've had similar mentions by some of the people i've worked with when i bring up the systems. i don't understand why people look on someone in the professional world like they can't be into video gaming... at least now i've got a son, so i can blame all the gaming stuff at the house on him ;)

i've recently read an article comparing the overall prices of the fully loaded 360 with ps3 and PC, and if you're going overkill on a system, believe it or not, even with the incredibly high sticker price, once you've paid for all the addons, PS3 wins out (only by about $50, but it still wins out). the Wii is really the only one i'm dead-set on buying at this point, and yes, the $250 price tag is a [b]huge[/b] incentive to me at this point. if i were to get a second system, it would have to be the PS3, though, simply for the fact that sony has the market with square-enix, and i've got to get my hands on the new final fantasy titles that come out. the HD trailers for XII and XIII are phenominal, and if i can swing the budget for it, i'd be almost willing to buy one for that.

Was never really a fan of either the Playstation, or Playstation 2 so I have no plans to buy a Playstation 3. I've had an Xbox for a couple of years now and rate it above the PS2 in every way - So that's why I grabbed an Xbox 360 a few weeks back and haven't regretted it since, love the high definition graphics, love the Dolby 5.1 audio and love Xbox Live (something that I never actually tried on my original Xbox since I modded it the day I bought it to use as a media player).

The Wii is relatively cheap, but you get what you pay for I guess. I might pick one up over Christmas if there are any half decent bundles in the shops. I really liked the N64 back in the day with Mario Cart and Golden Eye...

With regards to BluRay vs. HD-DVD - I'm under the belief that HD-DVD will win the battle.

[quote author=SemiApocalyptic link=topic=108522.msg436749#msg436749 date=1158609286]
The Wii is relatively cheap, but you get what you pay for I guess.
[/quote]

not at all... it's just that nintendo has actually stuck to the gaming market instead of making a full media machine, which is really what hardcore gamers are after anyway. i'm going to have a DVD player and all in addition to any system i buy, so why pay all the extra for all the bells and whistles? for me, it's all about the game... sad to say that nintendo recently hasn't had a whole lot of the games i've been after, so i may end up having to get one of the other systems down the road anyway :P

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=108522.msg436752#msg436752 date=1158609502]
[quote author=SemiApocalyptic link=topic=108522.msg436749#msg436749 date=1158609286]
The Wii is relatively cheap, but you get what you pay for I guess.
[/quote]

not at all... it's just that nintendo has actually stuck to the gaming market instead of making a full media machine, which is really what hardcore gamers are after anyway. i'm going to have a DVD player and all in addition to any system i buy, so why pay all the extra for all the bells and whistles? for me, it's all about the game... sad to say that nintendo recently hasn't had a whole lot of the games i've been after, so i may end up having to get one of the other systems down the road anyway :P
[/quote]
Fair comment, I never use my consoles as a DVD player anyway as I get a much better picture from my stand-alone player, and it spins the discs quieter as well as a lack of cooling fans to annoy me. Although I might think about getting the HD-DVD player add-on for the 360 while waiting for the stand-alone players to drop in price. After a few sites get hold of it and review it first of course.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=108522.msg436981#msg436981 date=1158637211]
It's always going to be PC for me - you can do so much more, and you're not stuck with whatever they give you at the factory. And I like using the keyboard/mouse much more than the controllers. I suck at controllers.
[/quote] I second that comment for FPS and RTS games, although you can't beat a controller for racing, third person adventure and platform fighting. In my opinion.

i'll third the PC comment. i'm a much bigger PC gamer than console, but i've got to get my metroid/zelda/smash bros fix every once in a while. i just hate the fact that you can't get any single player final fantasy games after VIII for PC :P

working through dungeon siege II right now...

I'm a fan of the PC arena too, but since we're talking about consoles I'd go with the Wii if I was in the market for one.  It sounds like the most interesting out of the bunch plus I don't need an entire media center... I already have all that other stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm weary of the Wii because of its controller.  Due to my physical disability, I'm not sure if I'd be able to use the controller well.  On the one hand, it would be a great source of exercise.  On the other, I wouldn't want to use the motion detection if I just wanted to have some easy, mindless fun.  Since I'm not sure if the Wii's games will allow for a more normal control scheme (read: no motion detection), I'll reserve any potential purchace until that info becomes available.

X-Box 360 looks nice, but I'm not really into its franchises.  Halo just doesn't look all that interesting to me (I have my lovable Half-Life 2 to fill that niche).  Bioshock looks interesting, but there's a possibility it's coming out for the PS3 as well.  The only franchise I feel I miss out on is Project Gotham Racing.

The PS3 is my choice.  I've already owned both of the previous PlayStations, so its backwards compatability is a nice feature.  I like that it comes with a huge hard drive.  I'm used to the Dual Shock style controller, so there's no need to adjust there.  Sony has historically had the big Square-Enix games, which is nice (even more so if Final Fantasy ever gets out of the emo cloud (no pun intended) its been in for the last decade).  Gran Turismo is always pretty fun (except for the AI), and the F1 game it has looks incredible.  All the other big titles (Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto) are multi-platform.  And, to top it all off, Tekken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I'm sorry I got to do this to sony but I just fell in with XBOX 360. I was always a hardcore playstation freak. But xbox live beats it all. The fact you can play against other players and no computer 'albots' makes the game soo much more interesting. If you have an xbox 360 and xbox live, make sure to play ghostreccon. THE BEST GAME EVER. BETTER than halo.

• 3 months later...
No offense but I personally think a computer is better then all of the above because

1. You can emulate consoles on a computer so that you can play any console game you want whenever you want without having to buy all of the consoles in the universe.

2. Computers can be used to do virtually anything, where as consoles can only be used for playing games on, unless you mod and hack the hell out of it, which costs lots of money and takes lots of time.

3. If a part on a computer breaks, it's very easy to just replace that part.

4. You can upgrade just whatever part of your computer needs upgraded, instead of having to buy a whole new system just to play the newest games.

5. You don't even HAVE to buy a new computer or even parts of a new computer to play new games. You can just play the new games on lower settings. So even if you are a poor bum you can play all the newest games.

6. It's much easier to update/modify/change games on a computer then on a console for obvious reasons. Such as having an operating system that you can use to change whatever you want.

7. You can have warranties on individual parts instead of just a warranty on a prebuilt system, so that if you do mod it/upgrade it/whatever, you won't void your (one single) warranty like you would on a console.

8. You can do work through and thus make money through a computer, so that it can pay for itself.

9. You wouldn't be able to use PHP if you didn't have one.

10. You know you would hate not having one, and all your geeky friends would laugh at you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.