[5.0.77] AES_ENCRYPT / AES_DECRYPT

Shp0ngl3

I've been trying to get this to work now since yesterday, but with no luck.

I run these two queries in Navicat..

UPDATE tbl_members SET member_password=AES_ENCRYPT('password', '1234567890123456') WHERE member_username='rk';
SELECT * FROM tbl_members WHERE member_username='rk' AND member_password=AES_DECRYPT('password','1234567890123456');

When I check the member_password field (blob) I find ™Ã7Ée“ûË+{£#”U)Ã, but still the result from SELECT is empty.

Anyone has any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Regards,

Shp0ngl3

this

UPDATE tbl_members SET member_password=AES_ENCRYPT('password', '1234567890123456') WHERE member_username='rk';

encrypts the password so the password changes from 1234567890123456 to ™Ã7Ée“ûË+{£#”U)Ã

So when selecting the WHERE need to find the encrypted password NOT the decrypted one!

you only decrypt when you want to view it like this

SELECT *, AES_DECRYPT('password','1234567890123456') as DecrypedPassword FROM tbl_members WHERE member_username='rk' AND member_password=AES_ENCRYPT('password', '1234567890123456');

However why encrypt it ? why not use a hash, ie SHA or MD5

another other is to decrypt the field in the where ie

SELECT *, AES_DECRYPT('password','1234567890123456') as DecrypedPassword FROM tbl_members WHERE member_username='rk' AND AES_DECRYPT('password', `member_password`) = '1234567890123456';

Thanks alot for the reply MadTechie. I will try it out when I get back to work on monday.

About your question, why not using hash. I must say that in the perfect world I would do that without hesitation, but because of how the system I work on was built before I started working there, and that my boss want's to be able to return the passwords as plaintext, I'm afraid that's not an option :( Tried talking him into letting me rewrite the login system etc, but no luck...

Regards,

Shp0ngl3

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.