Is it okay to link to my blog?

I did once, but I thought I better make sure just in case:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,308776.msg1458898.html#msg1458898

If I link to a post on my blog because it's directly relevant to a topic is that okay? It doesn't contain any advertising and is not commercial in any way whatsoever. It only contains (or will ever contain) PHP information.

I didn't want to accidentally violate the no spam policy since this could conceivably be construed as self-promotion although that's not why I would ever be motivated to mention a post. In fact it couldn't really be self promotion because it doesn't contain any personal or contact information either.

No one seems to have asked this exact question before.

Linking to your blog on occasion is likely acceptable. Continuously doing it however, will likely end up being considered spam. Its really up to the discretion of the mods / admins at the time based on what your linking too, how often your linking to it and how much give there willing to let you have.

It sounds like linking to your own blog is a dangerous game! I'm glad I asked. That sounds perfectly reasonable, if a bit ambiguous.

Since my lack of content is self-limiting in regard to frequency, I guess I'll just stick to the general rule that I originally conceived of linking only where I would just as easily be linking to someone else's documentation.

It sounds like linking to your own blog is a dangerous game!

I wouldn't say that. If your not spaming, you've nothing to worry about.

eg;

People who come here and post links to some blog / site in all of there first 10 posts = spam.

People who are in all honesty helping someone by pointing them to a remote resource on occasion = helpful.

If there is a question and it is specifically answered from something you posted somewhere else, I do not consider posting a link to it spam.

If your post history is nothing but that though, I will consider it spam. Yes, you are technically posting relevant answers, however, continually pointing at posts you make somewhere else...the likelihood of you happening to coincidentally specifically answering those questions somewhere else becomes a lot smaller than you purposefully answering them on your own site and linking the answer here to promote your own site.

So yeah, it is heavily circumstantial, a judgment call, based on posting behavior.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.