netbeans teething troubles

lines shouldn't really exceed 80 chars long when programming IMO

Is there any particular reason, or is it just for neatness? (it's only the html output which tend to be long lines i've found)

About the theme...

I learnt html and php in Crimson Editor and it nicely puts any content between double or single inverted commas in a different colour, i found it really handy as it made stuff like  ucfirst($_POST['field']) be in 3 different colours like: ucfirst($_POST['field']). I can't seem to get the netbeans to do that as it combines inverted commas and general strings into the same box called String.

**but then on the otherhand crimson doesn't offer variables or tell your where they are in the script... etc

Ah i see.

Sorry i think you misunderstood. I have downloaded the PHP version and it does highlight syntax but it lumps inverted commas into the same bag a String (unless i am mistaken).

An example of the same script from in crimson and netbeans:

crimson  -  <form name="basics"

netbeans - <form name="basics"

As you can see, crimson highlights the double inverted commas seperately to the rest of the String where as Netbeans doesn't. I just found this really helpfull in Crimson as it really makes things jump out of the page a little more. Mind, it is the only thing (along with word wrap) crimson has that netbeans doesn't.

If you go into Tools > Options and go to Fonts & Colors you can adjust the colors to your liking. Change the Language from All Languages to PHP and scroll down to find string. Of course, it'll also affect strings inside the heredoc, which you'll see in the example.

Hi Project Fear,

Ahh, yes that's what i mean now you mention it. I couldn't see it before, thanks... Is there anyway of stopping it affect everything inside the heredoc or is it one or the other? I mean i suppose technically the heredoc is a big string, however when you have one set of <?php ?> doing everthing, then most of the html output is via the heredoc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.