Increment a variable in a "foreach" loop

craigj1303

Hi Guys

Ever had the feeling your being a spoon and can't see the wood for the trees? Well, that's how I feel today.

All I am trying to to is implement a variable in a "foreach" loop that increments by one through each iteration of the loop. I know how to do it in a "for" loop but can't for the life of me get it to work here. Here is the code:

foreach ($cart as $prodcode => $qty)
  {
    $item = get_product_details($prodcode);
    echo '<input type="hidden" name="item_name_'.[b]$needavariablehere[/b].'" value="'.$item['description'].$_SESSION['finish'][$prodcode].$_SESSION['handles'][$prodcode].'" />' . "\n";
}

Where I have highlighted $needavariablehere is where I want a number to appear i.e. if there is one item available and the foreach loop iterates once I want the number 1 here. If there are two items and the foreach loop iterates twice I want the output to have number 1 in the first line and number 2 the second time around and so on.

How many times the foreach loop iterates is based on the $cart array which contains items in a shopping cart.

Thanks for any help you can give guys.

It's pretty simple:

$i = 0;
foreach($array as $index => $value)
{
   doSomething($index, $value, $i);
   $i++;
}

Just replace doSomething() with your code and pseudocode variable names with your own and there you are.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.