Files: if they tried to upload a file, work with file, if they didn't don't.

Ninjakreborn

This isn't working, I want to test to see if they tried to upload a file, if they did, then I want to do some validation on the file, and then try to move it, check to make sure it exists, whatever.  BUt I only want to do that stuff if they tried to upload a file, because the file upload is optional, it's not required??  But when I test for the files variable before working on it, and don't upload a file, it still tries to work on the non-existent file, that would lead me to assume that the files array already has something stored in it, whether a file has been uploaded into memory or not, so how do I test to see if they attempted one.  because they can attempt an upload, and it not upload, so I still need to check for
if (!is_uploaded_file) {
$errorhandler .= "You file was not uploaded properly";
}
that is one of the things I need to test for, but I don't want to test for that, unless they attempted to upload one and it failed, not jsut if they didn't want to upload one in the first place
[code]<?php
if ($_FILES) {
    $newfile = "uploads/".basename($_FILES['file']['name']);
    $newfiletemp = "{$_FILES[file][tmp_name]}";
  if (file_exists($newfile)) {
    $errorhandler .= "The file already exists";
}
if (!move_uploaded_file($newfiletemp, $newfile)) {
$errorhandler .= "There was some sort of problem moving the file";
}
}
?>[/code]

Ok I got it, but I am running into another problem.
Here is my code for reference
[code]<?php
// file handling
if ($_FILES['notefile']['name']) {
$newfile = "./uploads/notesandcheatsheets/".basename($_FILES['notefile']['name']);
$newfiletemp = "{$_FILES[notefile][tmp_name]}";
$errorha
ndler .= "The file already exists";
}

}
}else {
$newfile = "No file was uploaded";
$newfiletemp = "No file was uploaded";
}
// end file handling
?>[/code]
Ok there is the code, the problem I am having is it's not moving the file.  THe script that I am running for this is on a processor from the root folder it's from
/processors/post4.php
Now the file is being upload(from the root directory) to the following file
/uploads/notesandcheatsheets/
for some reason it's not moving it, I am saving the newfile and newfiletemp variables into the database, the newfile being the url, and hte newfiletemp being the name.
The thing is, it's not uploading, and I also need to make sure I can access the file later when calling the fileurl from the database.  So what do I need to do in this situation, and why isn't it working like this?
Also for the newfile variable, where I am setting the url, I tried a few things
I tried
/uploads/notesandcheatsheets
./uploads/notesandcheatsheets
but nothing seems to be allowing me to move the file.

I checked permissions, that wasn't the problem.
I noticed a few issues, I had some of the folders named wrong so I fixed those.  ANd it is not 100% pointing to the right path, I am using this code below, and below that is the error it's giving me.
[code]<?php
// file handling
if ($_FILES['notefile']['name']) {
$newfile = "/upload/notesandcheatsheets/".basename($_FILES['notefile']['name']);
$newfiletemp = "{$_FILES[notefile][tmp_name]}";
$errorhandler .= "The file already exists";
}

}
}else {
$newfile = "No file was uploaded";
$newfiletemp = "No file was uploaded";
}
// end file handling
?>[/code]
Here is the error message below

[quote]Warning: move_uploaded_file(/upload/notesandcheatsheets/access information.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/b/c/h/bcharnas/html/processors/post4.php on line 272

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/php4SyVSd' to '/upload/notesandcheatsheets/access information.txt' in /home/content/b/c/h/bcharnas/html/processors/post4.php on line 272
There was some sort of problem moving the file [/quote]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.