Mysql search not working

golyath

Hi i have written a simple searching script so that it builds a Sql statement and passes it back to another page for the results. It simply works with a check box if you want to see all items, and a drop down box if you want to serch with certain criterea and then a text box to enter the thing you are searching for...

e.g. drop down = Firstname textbox = Edward. Searching for all records where firstname = Edward.

this is the script:

php:
    <?
        $crit=$_POST['crit'];
        $search=$_POST['search'];

if($all == "all"){
            $sql="SELECT * FROM users";
            header("location:index.php?section=cPanel&control=members&ctrlMem=view&sqlCheck=$sql");
        }
        else{
            if($search == ""){
                header("location:index.php?section=error&error=missing");
            }
            else{
                $sql="SELECT * FROM users WHERE $crit = '$search'";
                //echo $sql;
                header("location:index.php?section=cPanel&control=members&ctrlMem=view&sqlCheck=$sql");
            }
        }

?>

this works fine if all is selected, and the Sql statement is sent back and works fine...

But... If you try to use the section where you are searching for a certian criteria, the sql errors out when usign it on the next page saying:

php:Warning: mysql_numrows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
    ?>

I have echoed out the sql when testing it to see if the sql statement is wrong, but i cant see anythign wrong with it:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE firstname = 'Edward'

If anyone can point me in the right direct it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.