Should you uninstall current versions when updating to new version PHP>

Maybe I should add - I am currently running Apache 2.0.54 with Win XP Pro and PHP 4.3.11 - it says the server API is CGI/Fast CGI.

I would like to add PHP 5 to the system so I can work in both PHP 4.3 and PHP 5.  Do I need to upgrade Apache to do so? Does Apache 2.0.54 work with PHP 5 and vice versa? If I do need to update Apache, do you uninstall it first or just overwrite the installation?

Thanks

There is no easy way I know of to run PHP4 and PHP5 simulataniously on a single Apache server. Apache2.0.x can work with PHP5 and PHP4 fine.

Prehaps have a read of [url=http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/633]this tutorial/article[/url] over at zend.com. It tells you how to install PHP5 and PHP4 on one Apache server. This requires you to edit the host file - may need to boot into safe mode and login as administrator to edit this file

Also if you wish to update PHP at any time, just download the zipped binaries package, then extract the contents of the zip to where PHP is installed to, you have upgraded PHP! Note if you have moved any PHP files to other location you will have to overwrite those files too with the newer updated files in the zip.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.