PS2 disk read error! Anyone had it

wildteen88

I was playing GT4 last night did a big race, well the computer did it (B-Spec mode :)), As I went to exit from the race screen to collect my winnings something happens and the white loading icon for GT4 turns red! It was like that for about a miniute or so, I thought game had crash, very mad >:(

So I reset the PS2 and the game doesnt load. Reset again and the same. I hear the PS2 spinning up the disk and the laser doing its work. And the drive stops spinning again. So I click the X button to go into the browser screen and I get a Disk Read Error message across the screen! I cannot play any disk on my PS2.

Anyone else got this sort of error?

There are fixes you can do yourself, which I am currently looking at. One fix is to clean the laser, or another is to change the angle of the laser when it reads the disk.

it's probably just old or dirty. My ps2 seems to collect dirt like a vacuum. all I have to do is turn it on and every piece of dust in the house flies toward it.
i've had that error on a few games and movies seem to freeze up out of nowhere too. I haven't even went through the trouble of cleaning it. I rarely touch it. Only when a new game comes out. But cleaning the laser should do it.

My PS2 is actually quite clean compared to my friends. The front of his PS2 (the bit under the ridge of the DVD/CD drive tray and where you put your memory card and control etc) is covered in Dust. However mine is pretty clean. I hardly clean it. Just dust the top of the console every now and then.

mine's got some pretty thick dust.. i think i'm gonna go buy some Dust Off and just spray it down, inside and out. If ps3 wasn't coming out for another 2 or 3 years, i'd clean mine.. since it's due out sometime in the next year, forget it. lol.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.