Blogging Network almost ready for launch

Minklet

http://subverb.net

There are bugs in IE6 and 7 that I'm trying to iron out (the widgets have the wrong sized margins/padding and so go in one column and the popup links for mixes do not open in a new window). If anyone can aid me with those, or point me in the right direction I'd be thankful.

The site is missing a few things, but is mostly ready to go. Anyone fancy giving a critique?

Thanks for the replies

You should never save big things such as logos as JPGs! It is a extremely unattractive attribute to a good website. It looks great so far!

Thankyou! Yeah I have recently changed the logo to include 'beta' and accidentally saved it as jpg. I will change it back, you're right it looks very grainy.

Just a suggestion. If you are having problems with ie7 you can use the star hack to override specific things for that browser. If you are unaware of it just google "ie7 star hack". Here is an example:

/* firefox, chrome, safari, ie8 */
margin:10px 0 0 10px;

/* ie7 */
*margin:5px 0 0 5px;

I will experiment with that...but the only way to make the columns small enough to fit next to each other is to make them about 30pixels smaller, which throws the entire design off and leaves a massive gap in the middle! I just can't work out where it is coming from, because there is nothing there.

Ok so I think I solved your problem in about 10 mins (only took so longer because apparently the developer tools in the ie9 beta are not working properly). Anyways the problem you are having is because you are using ul elements. By default they have a padding / margin. In order for your elements to line up to each other it is 2 lines in the css file to correct it:

on the .column class add this

margin:0px 20px 0px 0px;
padding:0px;

the 20 is the right margin on the first column so there is a little spacing between them. If you wanted to you could make it less and it would be closer or more and it would be farther apart until it breaks. You could use the * hack on these if you wanted to only change them in ie7 but I think you should just change it and adjust for all browsers as that is the correct way to do it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.