• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

It would be nice if you could modify the post parser to auto generate links to PHP manual, when there is a name of a PHP function in a post.

#2 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationUK, Bournemouth

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:45 PM

When we had IPB our admin (phpfreak) did have such a feature implented, as it did link to the PHP manual hosted on our main site. Not sure whether this will be added back though. I used to use the feature a lot when I first signed up here.

At the moment I have a PHP search engine plugin installed in FF. It allows me to type in a function name into the search box and it takes me to php.net displaying the page for that function.

You can get it here. Download the one you want in your native lanaguage. Only for Firefox though.

#3 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

I hadn't really thought about adding that back in.  It is possible though and we will look into it.

Info: PHP Manual

#4 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:12 PM

It's more like for people who are new to PHP. So eg if I am talking about the explode function, I could type:
You could use the [url=http://php.net/explode]explode[/url] function
to show the user that they can read more about that function in it's manual entry. By having the post parser to do it automaticly that would save time when posting a post.

#5 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

uhh... yeah, we know WHY it's helpful.  And we know how to do it. 

Info: PHP Manual

#6 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:02 PM

It was more like meant for wildteen since he told about the FF plugin ;)

#7 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

wildteen-

i guess that reduces SOME typing, but since all you have to do is type php.net/functionname and it does the same thing... seems like just another thing superfluously taking up my memory.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#8 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

I'm sure I've been on boards where something like an [rtfm] tag was enabled.  This made it much easier for those responses where all you want to do is direct someone to the manual without having to go there yourself and copy/paste the URL.

Example:If you look at [rtfm]mail[/rtfm] in the manual, you'll find that and mail would be hyperlinked to the correct function page of php.net

I wonder if http://www.php.net/sidebars.php is useful?
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#9 Barand

Barand
  • Moderators
  • Sen . ( ile || sei )
  • 18,025 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

phpbuilder forum has [man]mail[/man] tags
If you are still using mysql_ functions, STOP! Use mysqli_ or PDO. The longer you leave it the more you will have to rewrite.

Donations gratefully received

moon.png

|baaGrid| easy data tables - and more
|baaChart| easy line, column and pie charts

#10 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

Yeah. A tag like that would be nice - perhaps better than just parsing it "globally". I do not think the tag name should be rtfm however. I do not like when people are told to "read the [obscenity removed] manual". man would be more appropriate.

#11 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationUK, Bournemouth

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

wildteen-

i guess that reduces SOME typing, but since all you have to do is type php.net/functionname and it does the same thing... seems like just another thing superfluously taking up my memory.

I'm just so used to choosing the site I want to search using the FF search engine thingys in the top right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users