Totaly new to PosgreSQL

Yawa

Hi - In another post I ask if MySQL was the right choice for large amount of data and I was adviced to tak a look into PostgreSQL.

I have read a bit an have got understanding that MySQL is faster and that PostgreSQL was slower. Another thing that was mentioned was that PostgreSQL was more complex/advance?

I'm building an marketing website for businesses.

Let's say that I have 100 000+ businesses that uses 7 tables to store all of the data (main, employees, services, references, news, comments, ratings). Toghether thats a lot of data - right?

Is PostgreSQL a better solution?

I'm probably the one that recommended PostgreSQL.  In any case, I think it's the way to go.

Both PostgreSQL and MySQL are similar in syntax and support many of the same basic features.  However PostgreSQL, as far as I know (remember I've been out of touch with MySQL for 2 1/2 years now), does have more advanced capabilities.  You don't have to use them, but they're there if you need them.

If you're worried about large data sets, I have tables with more than 10 million records in them and the performance is fine.  Certain operations take a long time but that would be the case in either piece of software with that many records.

So the speed difference that i mentioned, that MySQL was faster than PostgreSQL, isn't that noticeable?

The only reason I'm asking is that I want's to make sure that it loads the results as fast as possible AND that the security-options are in place. (need to learn them offcourse).

If I have other quersions regarding PosgreSQL, like using multible users for SLQ-activities and tips - should I start a new post?

I'd say you can just ask your questions in this thread.  While I have no direct comparisons, their performance should be comparable and you may be able to find something on this through google.

I can tell you that the following affects the performance of all database systems you're considering:

1) Hardware - Fast drives will make a big difference

2) Proper indexes

3) Good table design

4) Optimized queries where necessary

5) Database maintenance (reindexing, packing tables, etc)

Regardless of your database software, hardware, whatever, you may reach a point at which you can not achieve the performance you desire.  That's when you start looking into calculating and caching results on a schedule rather than in real-time as the user requests things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.