Wildcard subdomain and Masking with htaccess

mcdsoftware

Hey guys,

I've been trying out different things for several days now and have finally decided to ask for help.

So here's the situation, we have a site (domain.com) and wildcard dns is setup and working properly. entering someone.domain.com displays domain.com's content so all is good there.

What I need is to process a different script (note: not redirect, the url must be masked), like if the request is dummy.domain.com, it should mask the url to stay the same but really process /public_html/partners/dummy. It works as intended until I try to visit a directory like dummy.domain.com/files where it redirects the browser to domain.com/partners/dummy/files

Here's what I have on public_html/.htaccess

RewriteEngine On
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !www.domain.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^([a-z0-9-]+).domain.com [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) http://domain.com/partners/%1/$1 [P,L]

If I try to visit a non-existent directory like dummy.domain.com/asdf, it works fine. The 404 says that it cant find the directory or file at partners/dummy/asdf so I'm thinking it must be something on the /files directory. Here's the htaccess under the files directory

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteBase files/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [L]

</IfModule>

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks!

Thanks cags. I tried that but it just goes into an infinite loop. I think that's because the condition that checks for the wildcard subdomain is always true and it redirects it everytime to /partners/xxx/xxx. Is there any flag that I could use to stop the loop after the first request/redirect?

Thanks again.

It's because the redirected url also matches the pattern (since .* matches everything).

You should be able to do something like this to avoid that...

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !www.domain.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^([a-z0-9-]+).domain.com [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^partners/ [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) partners/%1/$1 [P,L]

Should only rewrite patterns that done begin with the partners/ directory

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.