Web Design: Getting Started?

Lostvoices

:confused:

Hey All, I've been doing HTML and CSS for a while now and believe i understand them quite well. i have been studying JQuery, PHP and MySQL on top of these. I would like to start a Web design business and was thinking where to start??

I'm leaning based on my knowledge to start with Small  Buisness websites and then expanding as i learn more such as learning an Open Source Shopping cart and such.

Just wondering what people on here would suggest? I got my first client the other day so frantically trying to build a site for myself to link to on the clients site as teh designer. but  would love to hear how you guys started out? what you would suggest first.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I was thinking about starting my own business doing the same, but decided against it as it was too much hassle working out wage, and accounts side of things.

But if you put that aside, probably the best way to start is to decide whether to use a programme such as joomla or do all the coding urself from scratch. Personally I like doing scratch takes longer, but worth it  :P

Try searching for free css templates there a loads of nicely pre-built sites out there, which you can develop further, thats wot I usually do. Also if you're not very good a photoshop / flash get some help as these can make or break most site. Typically a client wont give a fudge if the site can do the best thing ever if it doesnt look good.

Finally, get everything written down in a contract from your client as they will try to get more functions etc... out of you without paying you and you'll probably do it as you want them as a client. Also take a deposit, you dont wanna start a site spend hours on it and them to turn around and say na we have changed out minds.

Last bit honestly,  :P clearly define who has copyrights of the site, ie you own the full coding but they have rights for the site.

Thats probably the best advice I can give and good luck!!  :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.