Adding encryption to a website.

DarkHavn

Was just wondering your regards and feedback on this one.

Things like ssl on a webpage, 128bit encryption on websites that handle sensitive data like credit card numbers and such.

Do you guys prefer, or recomend anything?

Should i rely on php for this, or something else?

Just thought i would get some feedback on this before i go ahead with anything.

Cheers

Lol, sorry should of been more descriptive of what i was meaning, Yeah ssl is apart of the server that is running apache or depending on your flavour.

Guess what i was truley meaning is, is there any means or methods you guys recomend of encryption via php if that is possible at all?

I am suprised that this has not be posted before. Normaly when it comes to a question in reguards to security, of any kind, there are a thousand posts.

There are a couple ways of encrypting the sensitive data. here is an example function that would encrypt the data before passing it to a database.

[code]
<?php
$cc_number = "0000000000000000";

function encryptData($data) {
      $iv_size = mcrypt_get_iv_size(MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB);
      $iv = mcrypt_create_iv($iv_size, MCRYPT_RAND);
      $key = "your_key";

$crypttext = mcrypt_encrypt(MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, $key, $data, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB, $iv);
      return $crypttext;
}

$encypted_cc = encryptData($cc_number);

// now you can pass the encrypted data to the db

// and here is a function for decrypting the data.

fuction decryptData($data) {
       $iv_size = mcrypt_get_iv_size(MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB);
       $iv = mcrypt_create_iv($iv_size, MCRYPT_RAND);
       $key = "your_key";
       $decrypted_data = mcrypt_decrypt(MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, $key, $data, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB, $iv);
       return $decrypted_data;
}

//here is a simple sql call to get the encrypted cc number
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `your_table` WHERE `something` = '$something'");

while ($rw = mysql_fetch_assoc($sql)) {
     $cc_number = decyptData($rw['cc_number']);
}
?>
[/code]

Now as far as the key goes. I randomly generate a key and then on a couple of random days each month I decrypt all of the encrypted data in the db and then encypt it again with a new random key. I then store the key in another function.

This may be over kill but what the hell, I am responsible for that data. So I will try my best to secure it to the best of my ability.

I hope that this helps.

If anyone has any suggestions on a better way to encrypt the data or a fault in my script, please feel free to reply.

Thanks,
Tom

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.