Any safety concerns with this code?

LLLLLLL

I have a file on my server that I will stream to the browser:

header( "Content-Description: File Transfer" );
header( "Content-Type: application/force-download");
header( "Content-Length: " . filesize( $filename ) );
header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$filename");
readfile( $filename );

$filename is going to be in a location that's not publicly available (there's no URL to it, as it's on the server, and not within public_html or subdirectories).

Any safety concerns here? Basically, I'm just curious if a user has any way to steal the file or otherwise access the directory. I don't think so, but I'm just tossing this out here as a general discussion.

Thanks!

The readfile() line needs the secret path on it, unless the file is in the current directory.

The part which you need to ensure is secure is the part which defines the $filename. Make sure a user cannot insert anythnig into that, or check the user is allowed access to the file before serving it.

$filename is a full path to the file.

I'm reading the filename out of a mysql database; I don't think there's a security issue there.

I guess I was wondering if someone had a way to know where the file is coming from. My directory structure has the public_html directory and the "my_files" directory parallel. So there seems no way for anyone to get to "my_files", as it is only accessible from the server. But when I serve up a file from that directory, I wanted to be sure that there's no way for the user to actually know the path/location of the file.

I think I've done this, but I just wanted to ask for other opinions. I'm not 100% sure of possible security issues.

Yes.  Headers are plain-text key / value pairs sent to the user agent.  There are many, many more types of user agents than just web browsers that will show a sophisticated user all of the headers sent and received.  From a security standpoint I adopt the mindset of "The more this is a black box to the user the better."  That particular header controls the preset file name that appears in the "Save As.." prompt so all it needs in the first place is the file name and not the full path to the file. 

Also consider that the full path can reveal more about your box than you intend to.  Let's say you were writing a plug-in for a popular CMS, disclosed the full path, and the attacker saw this:

Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=/var/http/1.3/htdocs/domain.com/cms-1.0.3/protected/thefile.mp3

What can the attacker deduce from this?

1) You run Linux.

2) You're probably using Apache Httpd 1.3

3) You're probably hosting multiple domains

4) You're using version 1.0.3 of the CMS

So now what can the attacker do?  They can look for known exploits for your versions of the web server and CMS.  Hypothetically it could also be that this CMS doesn't support PHP 5 until version 1.1.0, therefore the attacker can deduce that you're on a version of PHP less than 5, probably 4.x.x, and then look for known exploits for that as well.

header( "Content-Length: " . filesize( $filename ) );  // <-- requires full path
header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$filename"); // <-- does not require full path
readfile( $filename ); // <-- requires full path

Therefore you can change it to this:

header( "Content-Length: " . filesize( $filename ) );
header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=" . basename( $filename ) );
readfile( $filename );

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.