PHP Project

phpfan

Hi,

I am a student doing my final year project in php. In fact i am developing an e-comerce website for an on-line store selling products but my supervisors told me that this is too easy for a final year project so i would like to know if i can add any extensions on my website. I mean if i can use any other programming language in addition with php to make my project more interesting and complex...
Any ideas are wellcome  ;)

Thank you

Calling an e-Commerce app too easy .. I won't even go into that.

Ask them for suggestions. e-Commerce is about as complex as any other app out there. Even the simplest of homepages can be complex..

Seriously, ask them for suggestions - if they say "that's not my decision to make" then effectively they are talking crap.

If you go ahead with an e-Commerce app. just remember security. Make the site with OO and perhaps add modularity for the ability to support various RDBMS, payment systems, etc. etc. etc.

For this project, are they looking at functionality or design?  Building a simple shopping cart app probably is too easy.

But building an entire site with adminstrators, users, proper security settings, feedback mechanisms, data import mechanisms, etc. is no easy task.

As part of your design, you might want to allow the site to be easily customized in appearance and functionality.  If your design supports this kind of functionality, you'll surely want to provide a couple examples of how you used it in developing the site.

Actually they are looking about the research you have done and how you have implement the page according to your results. I have to do a research on two topics and then according to the results i will design my page. As a first topic i thought that will be a good idea to do a research about security. I also thought making a research about the functionality and user friendliness of the web pages. Any ideas, opinions or help are welcome...

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=phpfan link=topic=108866.msg449551#msg449551 date=1160433860]
Thank you guys, I finally decide to do my research on web design usability and on e-commerce security.
[/quote]

An excellent choice. If only more people were interested in making their websites more usable, the web would be a better place. One of my pet hates is when some idiot puts little or no thought into the usability of their website.

[quote author=phpfan link=topic=108866.msg449551#msg449551 date=1160433860]
Whish me good luck!!  ;)
[/quote]

Good luck!

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=108866.msg449556#msg449556 date=1160434889]
One of my pet hates is when some idiot puts little or no thought into the usability of their website.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Usability, despite some of the hype surrounding it, is essential but often 'forgotten'.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Does anybody know how to use recommender systems on e-commerce websites? Can I produce a recommender system using php code or do I have to use another programming language? Any ideas, recommendations or links will be very helpful.

Thank you

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.