Tables and widths and line breaks

DeX

I'm doing a pretty complex site for a client and it involves a lot of tables. I have some questions regarding the way they want to go with them and the way I should go according to standards.

1. Sometimes they'll have something in a column that flows over onto the next line at the wrong place. For example, they'll have something like:

Oversize (width x length x height)

and because of the table column spacing, it'll come out on the website as

Oversize (widthx length x height)

We need that to look more like

Oversize(width x length x height)

so what they want to do is put a <br> tag in there to force the line break where they want it, before the brackets. Is it correct to use a <br> tag or should we be using <p> tags as better programming? Is there another way to do it? Can we force the column to expand to the end of the line in the CSS instead? I need to set this globally on the site to not wrap text for certain strings.

2. Is there a way to set a minimum column width in the CSS? I have widths set to AUTO right now but I'd like the columns to be at least 95 pixels wide or expand as needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are going to lay out your page in tables, then you may as well not bother working about standards. It's kind of like putting racing tires on a ford fiesta.

You'd be surprised how many high end corporate websites have their websites done in tables.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.