preparing, some questions(all php related)

Ninjakreborn

Ok I am getting ready to take on a project, but there are a lot of things I am unsure of, so I was going to ask a few questions and see if anyone new these, or ever did anything like this.
I am creating a page like one that I forgot the url of.
But people come to it, and sign up and it creates them a sub-domain, here are my questions.

1. How do I make it to where someone can pick a website template, and use that as something to work with.  I know how to make the content available, I could have it just stored in a database with there userid, this will allow me to allow them to change there textual content.  BUt I don't understand how to make that template itself interact with the rest of the system

2.  Wildcarded dns, I have a server that supports it, but is it easy, I normally like building my stuff from scratch, but luckily he already had a script to do it.  but don't I have to do all of this with return info from paypal.  I have to set up a paypal payment at the end, and with it, the ipn brings back information, but how do I allow the information to be able to go and create the entire domain name and everything, and how hard will this be to test.

3. The thing about this is, I have to allow them to customize there own sub-domain names via a control panel, when I allow them to login to the control panel, how do I associate them with the sub-domain, and allow them to like possibly change xhtml depending on the account type they sign up for, ex-cetera.

1. Sounds like a pretty straight forward CMS to me.
2. This highly depends on your servers type / configuration and what permissions you have. With the right permissions its just a simple task of changing some config files as needed.
3. You would use sessions as per usual. They are really your best method of determining which user is which.

so it's actually just a bunch of small stuff, I am just worried about in general, it seems like a huge task.  it's only 4 pages, but like
PAGE 1- they click a link tos tart the program
page 2- they put in there desired sub-domain, username, password
page 3- they choose a template, type in text for the template, and it also creates a logo for there domain name, on the template
page 4- carried over to the next page, here they actually decide through paypal, payout,
next step- get ipn back from paypal, create sub-domain(with his third party script), setup there account(via database work), create the page they created within the sub-domain that script created(god-knows how), plus whatever cleanup work needs to be done.
next step- when they leave paypal, and come to the website again. Where they can see there domain, and access there admin. 
admin- with there admin he was wanting full blown xhtml/css editing, then just have it screen out php/javascript coding.  Then I told him it would be best for just text, saved in a database, that's because I didn't know where to start on this other stuff

I have 2 weeks to finish this whole thing in, big question, is this possible, is it something I can possible accomplish 2 weeks from monday.

[quote]I have 2 weeks to finish this whole thing in, big question, is this possible, is it something I can possible accomplish 2 weeks from monday.[/quote]

Well really, thats not for us to judge. However, your line of questioning leads me to believe you might be a little over your head. I would think your client would also need a dedicated or at least root access to a VPS for this sort of thing. That means you'd probably also need a server admin, not just a developer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.