can we access system name (user name)...can anybody help me

vji

Hello friends,
hi, this is vijay from india. i'm a fresher in PHP field. i have some doubts..

we can access system time, then why dont we use system name and display it in web page when that perticular user open our web page...

i mean with out user interaction, can we access his name from his P.C
( i think it may available in start menu)...

hope i get some responce from your side..........

kind regards,
vijay

Dear Barand
its a quesion. and i tried to implement it, but i failed.
so, i posted this in many forums...

what i mean is " when we logged in to yahoo inbox, we can see [b]WELCOME to VIJAY[/b] . like wise with out any user ineraction, can we access the current user profile?

regards,
vijay

No. He just has some sort of place where users can log in, and he want THAT username to be displayed. That is easy to do, but you will need to give us some code so we can show you how to implement it.

I guess that you through ActiveX could display the Windows username, but that makes problems for some users:
1. People who do not use Internet Explorer
2. People who do not use Windows

PHP runs on the server, not on the client PC, so when it gets systems time, it is the time on the server. Also, for that reason, it cannot see the name in the start menu on your pc.

Are you talking about in [b]internet[/b] application where members log in (like this board) or are you talking about a company [b]intranet[/b] where all users have logged into the network?

dear Barand,
yes, PHP runs on the server, not on the client PC.
but when user opens a webpage, that means a client side script is executed on web browser, and it may takes system name any where from the client system.
let us try to implement this[i]....(humans can implement any thisng)[/i]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.