1 reply to this topic

#1 mysty

mysty
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

I just found out my new hosting company does not allow a direct connection to the databases for my site.  This means I cannot access it using MySQL monitor (command prompt).  I also sometimes use SQLyog which is similar to PHPmyAdmin both of which need a direct connection to work.  Is this really an issue and what are others using?
BTW - the hosting company is 1 and 1 and they have their own phpmyadmin, albeit a stripped down version.  I guess the reason this may be a problem is that I cannot create more user/privileges and it makes me a bit nervous to set everything up giving website/database users potential access to full privileges.  Isn't it common practice to set up two user/privileges, one with full privs for admin purposes and one with limited privs for general website access?  Again, is this really an issue?

#2 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • MySQL Si-Fu / PHP Resident Alien
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

It's nice to be able to have a direct connection, though I understand why shared hosts don't provided this type of access -- it's just asking for trouble.  On the other hand, you definitely need a few non-privileged accounts.
Seriously... if people don't start reading this before posting, I'm going to consider not answering at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users