Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steelmanronald06

Framework?

Are you asking if there is a framework? Well there is [url=http://framework.zend.com]Zend Framework[/url].

I don't know Ruby or Ruby on Rails, so I can't tell if it does the same.

I just recently heard of it, so I haven't tested it much, but it seems pretty nice. All of its components are: [quote]    *  Zend
    * Zend_Cache
    * Zend_Config
    * Zend_Controller
    * Zend_Controller_RewriteRouter
    * Zend_Db
    * Zend_Feed
    * Zend_Filter
    * Zend_Filter_Input
    * Zend_Http_Client
    * Zend_Json
    * Zend_Log
    * Zend_Mail
    * Zend_Mime
    * Zend_Pdf
    * Zend_Search
    * Zend_Service_Amazon
    * Zend_Service_Flickr
    * Zend_Service_Yahoo
    * Zend_View
    * Zend_XmlRpc[/quote]

Zend Framework isn't even done yet. There is only a preview available.

You could take a look at the resources sticky.

Yeah, I seen the resources just now.  Is there one of the 10 frameworks you would suggest? Is Zend the best? I know it has the best other products, so would Zend Framework be great also?  Do you suggest using a framework or not?

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=109009.msg439641#msg439641 date=1158957981]
Yeah, I seen the resources just now.  Is there one of the 10 frameworks you would suggest? Is Zend the best? I know it has the best other products, so would Zend Framework be great also?  Do you suggest using a framework or not?
[/quote]

Do recommend using a framework? Hell yeah. Do I recommend using someone elses framework? Not really.

I don't like using other peoples code, except for taking it apart, figuring out how it works and implementing usefull ideas.

Concequently, I can't really recommend any of those frameworks for 'normal' use. Although it's not finished I would recommend ZF for the purpose above.

It's very much a case of personal preference I think, but if you want my preference: I would recommend taking ZF and at least study how it works. The gereral MVC part is pretty much done I believe. If you would need functionality that isn't there (yet), either do your own or make a rip off version of some other framework's module.  :P

<a href="http://www.cakephp.org/">CakePHP</a> is rails port to php but i haven't tried it. Only read good stuff about it though.

I was going to suggest CakePHP also. It's a rapid development framework based on the concept of Ruby on Rails. There is also PHP on Trax, but I haven't really messed around with it. There are a lot of other frameworks around too.

Personally, I use a framework that consists of smarty, pear and a good directory structure.

Jeremy

Making your own will always prevail over using a pre-made, but for the sake of suggestions: [url=http://www.symfony-project.com/]Symfony[/url] or [url=http://www.xisc.com/]PRADO[/url]

I dislike cake because it tries [i]too[/i] hard to do stuff for you.

*Feels stupid* Everyone says make your own framework. All I know about a framework is that it is a simpler method of performing a task.  That is really all I know.  Anyone care to shed light on what exactly a framework is. I checked the resource page, but didn't really find a dumbass version of it :)

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=109009.msg440442#msg440442 date=1159126103]
*Feels stupid* Everyone says make your own framework. All I know about a framework is that it is a simpler method of performing a task.  That is really all I know.  Anyone care to shed light on what exactly a framework is. I checked the resource page, but didn't really find a dumbass version of it :)
[/quote]
answering from a more inexperienced point of view: a framework is pretty much a set of functions/classes that can be applied to any situation. call it a 'project skeleton' if you wish. different frameworks are geared towards different things - so some maybe more geared towards forums, some towards CMS's, some towards more general development, etc. some people may disagree with my description, but it works for me so thats fine :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.