Formatting returned results using HTML/CSS

mattyd

Hello.  I am interested in taking a result returned from a database and having it displayed in a certain way/style on the user's screen; For example, the user enters text into a field and hits "submit" - the data is saved in the database then displayed to the user (This part I have working just fine so far due to help I received here.)

My question is if I would like to, for example, have said text not simply dumped to the top of the screen, inline, but nicely formatted in a boxed, text area, I assume I will use HTML/CSS, and I was wondering if anyone had any good links/tutorials regarding this topic so I may look further into it (my search thus far has not turned up the correct topic or results).

Thank-you in advance for any assistance.

~Matty

you can integrate PHP into HTML/CSS very easily. here is the content of a file called test.php as an example

<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<p>The current second is <span style='font-size:16px;font-weight:bold;color:red;'><?php echo time(); ?></span> on this computer.</p>
</body>
</html>

Hello.  I am interested in taking a result returned from a database and having it displayed in a certain way/style on the user's screen; For example, the user enters text into a field and hits "submit" - the data is saved in the database then displayed to the user (This part I have working just fine so far due to help I received here.)

My question is if I would like to, for example, have said text not simply dumped to the top of the screen, inline, but nicely formatted in a boxed, text area, I assume I will use HTML/CSS, and I was wondering if anyone had any good links/tutorials regarding this topic so I may look further into it (my search thus far has not turned up the correct topic or results).

Thank-you in advance for any assistance.

~Matty

I could really recommend to set a class or id with php and use an external stylesheet (instead of what i see very often here in-line style). that way you keep things nicely separated and it's easy to switch styles. But if you rather have in-line style (which sneaky let's you duplicate your code more) the result (view) will be the same

for instance a day and night concept:

css file could look like this:

.night {
color: white;
background-color: black;
}
.day{
color: blue;
background-color:white;
}

php code could look like this

$time = 'day'; //don't use this of course as a time indicator ;-)  
$my_array = array(2,4,6,8,10); // just a random array to created some output

if ($time == 'day'){ // in case it's day
  foreach($my_array as $key => $value){
    echo '<p class="day">any thing you like can be put inside here ('.$value.')(day) <p>';
}
}else{ // in case of night
    foreach($my_array as $key => $value){
    echo '<p class="night">any thing you like can be put inside here ('.$value.')(night) </p>';
}
}

I haven't tested it but I hope you see the Idea. if not let me know and ill try to clarify more.

::)

-edit: i just tested it and it works ::)

-edit2: changed the css a bit , they were the same. day now has a white background and blue font color, and night black background white font color

notice though my code is a bit redundant, (i did that of course from a teacher perspective ::) lolzors)  it would have been better to set a class as variable, Like:

if ($time == 'lalala'){
  $class = 'day';
}else{
  $class = 'night';
}// and put this class var in your loop in the element tag or whatever you want.
// like
echo '<div class="'.$class.'"> lalalalalala </div>';

that way you only need 1 foreach()-loop instead of 2. Idea of css html and php stays the same though.

Nice thing too is that you can sell this to your client in case they have a special event. just make a nice css for it and php does the rest.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.