Trying to Start a comunity

OK Heres the deal, I Know everything there is to know about Photoshop & Dreamweaver. I Know ZERO about PHP, all i know is that I need to know it so that I can have a comunity on my site.

What I'm trying to do:

Make a Website in Photoshop/Image Ready/Flash/Dreamweaver like a normal site and on the Website People Have to Login/Register. Then they have a name on the site (ie. "Jabroni"). Theres gonna be games and such on the site, when a member wins a game he gets points on his account and moves up the rankings of other members.

Now I have NO CLUE where to start or how to learn anything.

All this talk is gobaly gook to me. If somebody can help me it will be greatly apreciated.. Thank you in advance

HELP!

• 1 month later...
Try going to phpBB.com

207144[/snapback]

Dude that's a lame reply. God you people need to be a bit more welcoming to these "newbies."

To create a community, web site, art project, visual design project...it all comes from good planning.

This is what I do for EVERYTHING I make.

1) Make a mental note on what it could be, where things will go and what it's about

2) Then, transfer those thoughts on to paper and start a sketch or rough draft. It sounds like school work, but this is one of the most crucial parts in the planning phase. Take a week (if you're not pressed for time) and let these thoughts settle in your brain, then you'll probably think more about what you want it to be. WRITE IT DOWN!! :-)

3) Once you have the basics; expand your thoughts, sketches, and other notes to include more detail. In this case of an online community; write or type in detail what you want to provide to your viewers and ask yourself why they would want to come back to your site for more. It doesn't have to be an original idea but offer something unique along with the main reason why your community exists.

4) Then create psuedo (false or fake) code, depending on how experienced of a web designer your are. Psuedo code is all but writing the code. Create an outline for each item that you want and its own detail. When I say "item" I mean something like a membership system, membership options, membership signup, news system, etc.

Since you admit that you're a newbie at PHP, I will also be upfront with you. This takes TIME, assuming you're not really comfortable or familiar with programming, because that's what PHP is. You need time and dedication to read pages upon pages of tutorials, examples, and of course the PHP manual. This web site is dedicated to HELPING people learn whether they're a beginner or an expert.

Again, I'm disappointed in the previous posts which offered no hint of help...I put a good 15 minutes into this. That's why I'm here and part of the community; to learn and to help others. Hopefully I gave you some good insight as to where you should go.

Edit: Just a thought.. I also would like to say that I expected a lot more from "Andy." Nice post by the way.

Try going to phpBB.com

Thats not a lame reply, its what I did when I wanted to learn about communities, not hard to install, easy to create templates for if you have the graphics skills, install that, get yourself a portal and customise the layout.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.