searching with and, and or

Ninjakreborn

I am having to make a query with and's but also with or's.

See the ones that have to match are category, subcategory, and schoolname.  THen I also want to have like an open source query

$select = "SELECT * FROM $postset WHERE categoryname = '$category' AND subcategoryname = '$subcategory' AND schoolname = '$school' OR itemtitle LIKE '%$search%' OR description LIKE '%$search%';";
See how i need to make sure it stays within that category, subcategory and schoolname, but the other part is selecting based on different criteria.  Is this the right way to go about this??

$select = "SELECT * FROM $postset WHERE categoryname = '$category' AND subcategoryname = '$subcategory' AND (schoolname = '$school' OR itemtitle LIKE '%$search%' OR description LIKE '%$search%');";

i think that will do the trick because u need all the first thing and any of the following OR fields..

Regards
Liam

Well sort of, that is on the right track.  I need to search ALL the or fields, and pull results out of whichevers match, but the other's before that, including the school name, HAVE to match 100%.  Then everything else I need it to go through checking each one, and pulling out all the results from them

$select = "SELECT * FROM $postset WHERE categoryname = '$category' AND subcategoryname = '$subcategory' AND schoolname = '$school' AND (itemtitle LIKE '%$search%' OR description LIKE '%$search%')";

so we check for all the ands and then for either itemtitle like search or description like search

Any good?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.