Insert in MySQL Array Value from Drop Select Box Value - Cannot Pass the Var

OldWest

I am simply trying to insert a value generated from an array in a while loop, but it seems the value is not global and I can't pass it as I like. I did some research on this, but could not find an answer that solved my issue...

Here is my select box code which is working perfect:

<select name="city">
<?php
$sql = "SELECT id, city_name FROM cities ".
"ORDER BY city_name";
$results_set = (mysqli_query($cxn, $sql)) or die("Was not able to produce the result set!");
while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($results_set)) {
	echo "<option value=$row[id]>$row[city_name]</option>";
}
?>
</select>

Are any variables defined in a while loop global to the while loop only?

Here is my SQL which you can see my $row[id] being passed thru field city_id... The value is being generated as supposed to based on value like: value="1", value="2" etc.. for the select options for each city name. So the values are there... But I CANNOT get that numerical id to pass to the database when submitting my form.

Any ideas for a workaround to get this value passing as normal?

if (isset($_POST['addPosting'])) {
      $query = "INSERT INTO Postings (id, city_id, title, description) VALUES
('','$row[id]','$_POST[title]','$_POST[description]')";

Is anything else being inserted? Are you checking for errors with mysqli_error()?

All values are being passed perfetly fine. I added mysqli_error() to the insert query, and no error is being thrown.

Apparently the value is not being passed outside the while loop... I know I am missing something important in this process, but can't put my finger on it.

Lost.. going to keep trying at it.

On second look, why are you trying to use $row['id'] to insert after a form submission? Should probably be $_POST['city'] . . .

Also, your associative array keys should be quoted. If you're having problems echoing them with the quotes, either use string concatenation, "string stuff " . $array['index'] . "more string" or enclose them in curly braces, "string stuff {$array['index']} more string"

On second look, why are you trying to use $row['id'] to insert after a form submission? Should probably be $_POST['city'] . . .

Also, your associative array keys should be quoted. If you're having problems echoing them with the quotes, either use string concatenation, "string stuff " . $array['index'] . "more string" or enclose them in curly braces, "string stuff {$array['index']} more string"

I can't believe I was screwing up that badly ! :D ... It works as normal now with $_POST[city]. SOLVED!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.