Website Feedback Please

esgarrouth19

user: visitor
pass: visitor
site: [url=http://www.frohsenwebdesign.org/marsh/]http://www.frohsenwebdesign.org/marsh/[/url]

Could you guys take a look at this website that I'm working on and give me some feedback? Please pay special attention to the DHTML menu, layout, and color scheme.  Thanks!

What's up with the boards lately? I remember when i would have 20 posts giving me suggestions and feedback...detailed feedback...not just "Looks ok." or "Looks good to me." Come on, please give me some real feedback. Tell me what specifically you liked/disliked about it. Disregard the username/password, there is no longer a prompt.

to be honest, it's ok but pretty bland. lots of text and not enough to break it up (paragraphs, images, etc). it wouldnt be so bad, but the colours are quite 'cold' colours - not that they're bad colours to use, but they dont do anything to liven things up across the board. the colours will work better when you do some work on the text.
menu is ok and works well. not sure what sort of feedback you're looking for here. as long as a menu is intuitive and works properly, it's doing its job properly.

cheers
Mark

My thoughts:

That dhtml menu is very slow.
You have the buttons on the nav bar as links - bad Idea IMO. The button on the nav should be *ONLY* to show the sub links.
e.g. DOT - this should NOT go to a Page not Found or any page. Clicking on this DOT should *ONLY* open up the sub menu of DOT.

Actually you have the sub menus working on a:hover via javascript. Why why why javascript and DHTML???? You can do the whole lot WAY WAY easier with css. FACT. You have TONS of javascript and no need for it!! onmouse overs!!! css does this for you.

You have no images - allbeit a new site at the moment I take it.

Your own main page http://www.frohsenwebdesign.com/ is broken in Opera.

You dont have valid xhtml.
You have warnings in your css.

I have never heard of "Engineering a Website"!!

Other than that - it works - its fixed width its grand.

-steve

the onmouseovers are used because without them, the main menu links (DOT, Home, Etc) would turn back to normal after moving the mouse out of them, rather than delaying and returning to the originally selected menu. The main menus are links so the client can include additional information along with the submenu links in the page. For example, clicking on DOT will provide a page with the links that are accessible via the submenu, along with some text explaining what DOT is. The menu is slow on purpose. Have you ever used a menu where you try to move the mouse over a submenu item and you accidentally mouseover one of the main menu links and the submenu changes? The large amount of javascript is to avoid this problem.

The errors in the xhtml are due to empty UL tags, thanks for pointing this out to me.

Thanks for letting me know that there are warnings, I used silktide and forgot to check for css as well.

I'll have to redownload Opera and check out my site, thanks!

The missing pages will be fixed as soon as I get in contact with the client again.

[quote]the onmouseovers are used because without them, the main menu links (DOT, Home, Etc) would turn back to normal after moving the mouse out of them, rather than delaying and returning to the originally selected menu.[/quote]
I think onclicks are way better for a Nav menu. In fact when I first went to your site - I clicked on the menus and didnt even realise you had mouseovers. This will 1/4 your heavy javascript. And you can provide a much easier fall back for ppl with javascript disabled - forwarding them to the actual page where the sub menu will be showing by default.

[quote]The main menus are links so the client can include additional information along with the submenu links in the page. For example, clicking on DOT will provide a page with the links that are accessible via the submenu, along with some text explaining what DOT is.[/quote]
What?? BUT sure you have a Menu Item called: Portable Restrooms. AND you have a SUB-NAV item ALSO called Portable Restrooms.

[quote]The menu is slow on purpose.[/quote]
I thought as much. I much prefer quick and responsive menus - my opinion.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.