For Loop & While Loop WORKING, but Results are Wrong in Both

OldWest

I am working to echo the results in a while or for loop... Both of my sample codes work, but the results are wrong!

The while loop ONLY echos a result IF the first record in the postings table matches the id passed (does not display a result unless the first record has a match)

The if loop displays ALL listings with the same name (counts them all) so there are no unique listings!

<?php

$posts_by_city_sql = "SELECT * FROM postings WHERE id='$_GET[id]'";
$posts_by_city_results = (mysqli_query($cxn, $posts_by_city_sql)) or die("Was not able to grab the Postings!");

/* While Loop  */
while($posts_by_city_row = mysqli_fetch_array($posts_by_city_results)) {
	echo "<li><a href='posting_details.php?id=$posts_by_city_row[id]'>$posts_by_city_row[title]</a></li>";
}

/* For Loop  */
$posts_by_city_row = mysqli_fetch_array($posts_by_city_results);

for ($i=0; $i<sizeof($posts_by_city_row); $i++) {
echo "<li><a href='posting_details.php?id=$posts_by_city_row[id]'>$posts_by_city_row[title]</a></li>";
}

?>

Results with for loop (there are 7 total unique book names, but it's just counting the first match on id 7 times like below):

AJAX for Beginners

AJAX for Beginners

AJAX for Beginners

AJAX for Beginners

AJAX for Beginners

AJAX for Beginners

AJAX for Beginners

AJAX for Beginners

You are misunderstanding what mysqli_fetch_array returns.

Each time it is called it returns an array containing each field from 1 row of your database and moves the pointer to the next row where it waits for the next call.

Your 'while' loop is likely only returning 1 row because that is all that matched your query.

Your 'for' loop doesn't make much sense because it loops through each column within a single row and simply displays the same data each time through.

You are misunderstanding what mysqli_fetch_array returns.

Each time it is called it returns an array containing each field from 1 row of your database and moves the pointer to the next row where it waits for the next call.

Your 'while' loop is likely only returning 1 row because that is all that matched your query.

Your 'for' loop doesn't make much sense because it loops through each column within a single row and simply displays the same data each time through.

I very much appreciate your forwardness and accuracy.

It was of course my error. See I have two tables I am testing with:

Cities and Postings

Postings belong to cities.

And cities have postings of course.

In postings, I have field city_id (obviously to be a key for the city id field)

When I was running my query like so:

$posts_by_city_sql = "SELECT * FROM postings WHERE id='$_GET[id]'";

I was supposed to be SQLing ...

WHERE city_id='$_GET[id]

... (note city_id in place of id) ..

My script works as expected now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.