What do I need?

jmace

First of all, I'm not really sure where to post this question, so sorry if this is not the right place, but I assume this will do alright.

I'm currently designing a website that will allow teachers to do things like share files with their students, post on forums, chat, etc. I am not too worried about coding this project, but I am concerned about the software and hardware that will be needed to host such a website. At work, the web host that we use for our small business site is slow, and one large process (like a SELECT * FROM table from a large MySQL table, followed by processing) seems to stop it from serving up other pages. I suspect that the problems with a file sharing website would be even more severe.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I would need (ie what web hosting service I could use), and how much it might cost?

Also, what tips do you have on how I can code this so that it runs the fastest?

Thank you guys!

• 3 weeks later...

If you go with a public web server it would only cost a few dollars a month (PHP and MySql included).  You do have the security issues.  Perhaps your architecture needs to be looked at.  From your post, are you planning on storing the files in a sql db or in  folders on the server?  If you store them in folders, you are only using a sql db to link to the file in the folder and the browser would pull in the file from the servers file location not the db.

• 1 month later...

It all depends on how many people are going to be accessing it at once. There are online hosting services that are like $5-$10 a month that will probably only give you access to a couple hundered people at once. Then you have ones that are $20-$40 a month that will allow you to server a couple thousand people at once. If your gonna go with a hosting company and your own server than expect to pay $1000 for a decent server and than about $100 a month in hosting fees(If your gonna have the DB on the same server than increase the RAM). As for the speed of your site, that depends on how well you coded it. The more you can do in the least amount of instructions the faster it will be. From what it sounds like you wont be doing anything to crazy so i wouldn't worry about that. As for security just make sure you validate every input and output, I work in a school distict and kids love to google things and try them out on your site and see if they can break it. 

At work, the web host that we use for our small business site is slow, and one large process (like a SELECT * FROM table from a large MySQL table, followed by processing) seems to stop it from serving up other pages. I suspect that the problems with a file sharing website would be even more severe.

That seriously sounds like you simply have a crap host, or crap hosting plan. There are more bad hosts out there than good ones. Hell, we have people around here asking question about Linux & Apache because they've never used them before only to start providing hosting days later.

There are good cheap(ish) cloud hosting providers around but most of them you'll need to manage the server yourself. if you can't do that 9and you shouldn't without at least some experience) there are others that off managed vps accounts for a bit more.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.