DevShed mod migration

ManiacDan

Hello Everyone,

I'm Dan, a moderator of the devshed forums.  DevShed has made some advertising and management changes recently that have caused a bit of an exodus.  Given that one of my friends there (Requinix) is also an avid user HERE, I thought I'd give PHPFreaks a try.

I'm a professional PHP developer with10+ years of experience in large scale business systems.  I hope I can be an asset to the community here.

-Dan

If we were just going to talk to each other, we could have stayed where we were.

I fully intend to migrate somewhere else once my post count goes up.  The only worthwhile discussions on DS recently have been started by either me or you, or involve how stupid it is to drive away your userbase with invasive ads.

Thanks Salathe, the custom forum template is taking some getting used to, but so far this place seems really active.  The mods are ridiculous, I think 30% of the main PHP forum was "moved" threads the first time I loaded it.  I don't think I move more than 10 threads a week on DS.

-Dan

Aye, they're ridiculously active!  It seems folks like to just post their threads in whichever forum they're currently browsing (usually the main PHP one) regardless of the actual topic, so you'll definitely find lots of "topic moved" notices around the place.

Are you looking more for a place to kick around general developer-y discussions, or to help the hoards of newbies, to ask your own questions (or, all of the above)?

P.S. If you're old school and like to hang around on IRC then we can accommodate you there too! It's much quieter than this place... homely, would be the word. :)

You're free to check out the discussions I'm a part of over on the main DevShed forums clicky), but basically (as Requinix can attest) I help the noobs, which seem at this point to be "everyone."  That's the way it goes though, you have to say "quote your array indicies" 3,000 times a year.  I also start new discussions on the technology (like this, here, and here) for educational and professional reasons.  I rarely have actual questions that I cannot solve, any time I come up with a real question it gets ignored because nobody knows the answer.  One of my devshed threads ended up as a private call to the MySQL dev team (they didn't fix it).

I AM old school, and I DO hang on IRC on occasion (I ran a chan on undernet for a long time) but if I get back into it at work I won't get anything done.

My other "duties" on devshed involve banning the morons, moving the threads, and breaking up arguments.  I don't know if it's better or worse to not have those powers over here.  Thus far I wouldn't even get a chance to use them.

edit hi maq, thanks!

-Dan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.